Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
French Onion/Leek Soup >

French Onion/Leek Soup

French Onion/Leek Soup

Old 08-08-2022, 02:47 AM

Default French Onion/Leek Soup

Yesterday, I told my DH to pick up some Swiss cheese on his way home, so we could have that classic, French Onion Soup. He was thrilled with that! But then, after he left, I found that a couple of the onions that I just bought a few days ago, were rotten, so I was short on the main ingredient. Uh oh...I had to improvise fast! I looked in the pantry and found some granulated onion, so I threw a bunch of that in the stock for more flavor. But it was still lacking the onion texture, so I chopped up a big leek and tossed that in too. I also added some thyme, a sprinkle of fennel and the rest of the sherry that I had. OMG! These additions really took my French Onion Soup to the next level. It was soooooo good! I toasted up some French bread and laid a piece on top of the bowl of soup, then covered that with the Swiss cheese and put the bowls under the broiler for a few minutes, until the cheese was all bubbly. Yummmmm!
Old 08-08-2022, 04:46 AM
Power Poster

Sounds delicious!
Old 08-08-2022, 05:32 AM

Tropit,
Your improvisation yielded a wonderful version!
I will be trying that myself.
What have you been harvesting from the garden?
😋 😋 😋 😋 😋
Old 08-15-2022, 04:47 PM

Ugh...my garden...Well, earlier this year I suffered from a massive, pulmonary embolism, (very scary!) so I was not very physical for awhile in the aftermath. (I'm doing much better now.) I tried to get my DH to dig it up and plant the garden for me, but he was too busy working. So, I did the next best thing...container gardening on the porch and front yard. I just have a few things...tomatoes, various kinds of peppers, basil, parsley, cilantro, mint and one butternut squash. We also have the orchard, which is producing fruit and berries. The DH finally took some of my tomato starts and planted his garden with them, so we should get a lot of tomatoes. My first ones are ripening now.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:18 AM

Sounds yummy!
Old 08-17-2022, 01:17 PM

oh I'd love to try this one, thanks so much!