Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oh, terrible drama!! >

Oh, terrible drama!!

Oh, terrible drama!!

Old 08-11-2022, 03:54 AM

I must sew faster. 😩 my fabric acquisition is almost nothing..

Love your reasons Dunster !
Old 08-11-2022, 05:23 AM

It sounds exactly like something I could say! And I forget what I have so I buy it again.
Old 08-11-2022, 05:30 AM

I must say that my acquisition of fabric has slowed down a bit now that I pre wash everything before it goes in my stash. Pressing the washed fabric is not my idea of fun (I sometimes wonder if I could hire it out). So before I buy any fabric, I must deem it “pre-wash” worthy.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I have the same problem. I am going to try the 12 step program. Hope it works.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:26 AM

I have fabric in piles in several rooms, on bookcases and in closets, on tables and in bags on the floor. I didn't realize it was supposed to fit in the sewing room (ha, ha).

Since joining the Fabric Moratorium thread in the Challenges section, I do much better at not buying fabric just because it's pretty.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:38 PM

I just love waiting for my purchases to arrive in the mail! Honestly it’s almost a let down when they arrive and they are unwrapped. The excitement of waiting and tracking my boxes is huge. I try to limit myself because I don’t have room!

My shopping at physical stores is very quick and very decisive.......I need x yards of Kona Snow or whatever so am in and out within minutes but I can spend hours placing an online order and loving every minute.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:51 PM

Love to shop for fabric. I’ll take this and this and etc. Then it’s sticker shock. Yuk. Why did I do that again? Yep, fabriholic… Next it’s sew. Two weeks later…

Hopefully I learn from this. God, I need help.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:35 PM

Today I went to the Senior Center to do some printing (it's Free there) and guess what I found in the needlecraft room. Nope not fabric but Quilt Magazines and LOTS of Patterns for quiltas and wall hangings and toys that are quilted and Christmas Stockings. I brought all but 4 home as they were duplicates and I didn't want to appear to be stingy. Not greedy either as the books had been there over 2 weeks and I had to stay home due to the rain. Now I have something to do when the next rain comes--finnd just the right pattern for my next ?????
Old 08-11-2022, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
I must say that my acquisition of fabric has slowed down a bit now that I pre wash everything before it goes in my stash. Pressing the washed fabric is not my idea of fun (I sometimes wonder if I could hire it out). So before I buy any fabric, I must deem it “pre-wash” worthy.
Prewash and fold. Press when you are ready to use the fabric. It saves a lot of time. Some of my orewashed fabric will never, ever feel the heat of an iron, though.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Prewash and fold. Press when you are ready to use the fabric. It saves a lot of time. Some of my orewashed fabric will never, ever feel the heat of an iron, though.
I pre wash, but don’t use the dryer. Then iron my fabric while damp. At least the steam coming off the fabric helps to clear my sinuses! And my fabric is ready to use when I start my quilt.

I have one piece of fabric that I didn’t iron but just added to my stash when it dried. It bled terribly (although after boiling it with Dawn a few times, I *think* that was resolved). The crumpled texture of that fabric reminds me its weird, so that I will use it with caution (and probably check for bleeding one more time).

When you say you have fabric that will never feel the heat of an iron, is that because it’s delicate or because it’s too pretty to cut?