Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm drawing a blank for a pattern using novelty sporting fabrics..Your ideas?? >

I'm drawing a blank for a pattern using novelty sporting fabrics..Your ideas??

I'm drawing a blank for a pattern using novelty sporting fabrics..Your ideas??

Old 01-25-2022, 05:57 AM

4my3boyz.com sells fat quarters of sporting prints. I've bought from her a couple of times and been pleased.
bkay
Old 02-21-2022, 03:29 AM

Wink 1/4 yd cuts work with this pattern!

Originally Posted by Freddie's girl View Post
You can use regular 1/4 yd cuts as long as you have 9 usable inches. Also, a good source for novelty fat quarters (including sports) is www.uquilt.com ...in case you need more fabric options. Enjoy the pattern!
Thanks for your reply on using 1/4" cuts. I was in Hobby Lobby and found fabric that works and she cut about 10'' wide. I have cut out my prints and am working on the solid frames now. I am using 5 sports: football, basketball, soccer, baseball and golf.
The backing will be challenging.....cuddle luxe fabric...super soft but thick! It was hard to choose solids that look good with all the prints. I've already cut out a color that looks too bright compared to the other solids. (says my daughter) Thanks again for the pattern idea.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:01 AM

Personally, I like doing Tumbler Block quilts as the tumblers can be cut in many different desired sizes such as 5'" and for a baby quilt it would take less than 1/4 yard of 5 different fabrics. Any left over pieces can be used for binding.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:39 AM

I used BOnnie Hunter's Bricks & Stones pattern when I wanted to make a quilt for a farmer. I used fruits and veggie fat qtrs with blender fabrics that matched well with each one. It's a queen size quilt. I'd cut so many of the blender fabrics that I decided to make a oversize lap quilt for my library with them. So nothing went to waste.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	John's Bricks & Stones.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	638163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeup of quilting.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	638164   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bricks & Stones 59 x 70.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	516.4 KB
ID:	638165  
Old 02-22-2022, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I used BOnnie Hunter's Bricks & Stones pattern when I wanted to make a quilt for a farmer. I used fruits and veggie fat qtrs with blender fabrics that matched well with each one. It's a queen size quilt. I'd cut so many of the blender fabrics that I decided to make a oversize lap quilt for my library with them. So nothing went to waste.
Oh my goodness your quilt is beautiful. I am inspired to try this pattern. I will put it on my bucket list. Thanks for sharing your photos. The quilting design is perfect for the quilt.
Old 02-22-2022, 07:17 AM

I'm finding arrangements of rectangles and squares, such as in the Simplish pattern linked here to be a good way to combine collections of fabrics when they themselves don't really go together very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pie5cWlD8Ps

In the case of sports fabrics, I'd think of a nice green/grass background.

Here are two I've done, "Here Kitty Kitty" and "horse blanket"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Here Kitty  Quilted.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	638193   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horse Blanket.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	638194  
Old 02-23-2022, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I'm finding arrangements of rectangles and squares, such as in the Simplish pattern linked here to be a good way to combine collections of fabrics when they themselves don't really go together very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pie5cWlD8Ps

In the case of sports fabrics, I'd think of a nice green/grass background.

Here are two I've done, "Here Kitty Kitty" and "horse blanket"
Thanks for your input. It looks like rectangles and squares that are framed is the way to go! It separates the busy prints from one another.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:36 AM

Here is the link to the finished sports quilt I made. Thanks to everyone who responded and gave me wonderful ideas.

All about Me quilt
Old 08-29-2022, 04:05 AM

I think a stack `n whack would make a cute baby quilt. Check the internet search for free tutorials.
Old 08-29-2022, 04:19 AM

Check out the Picture Forum section of this site. The 1st one this morning is called "All about me" by Atkinson Designs and shows nothing but fabric in sports themes. Made into a baby quilt, but could be made into any size by simply making more blocks.