Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight Stitch Machines >

Straight Stitch Machines

Straight Stitch Machines

Old 09-17-2022, 04:16 AM

Default Straight Stitch Machines

I'm thinking about adding a straight stitch machine to my sewing room. The two must haves is controlling the speed and a larger throat size. I will probably have to order one as I'm about 3 hours from a shop that would have any to try out. I have read the information on the Brother PQ1500. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jennifer George
"Goatmom"
Old 09-17-2022, 04:38 AM

Have you thought about how much larger throat? That would give a better idea of what you are looking for. You might also want to look at some online video's where folks are demonstrating quilting and free motion quilting might give some ideas too. Are you planning on using the straight stitch machine for piecing or quilting or both? Price range? Juki has some nice industrial straight stitch machines.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

I have the Brother 1500. There is no speed control on it. The new models may have it now though. Also have the Juki TL 98, no speed control on that one either,
Old 09-17-2022, 06:54 AM

I had a Brother and learned io hate it. It would do nothing advertized. Had a repair person come and he said that machine was exactly what I thought--JUNK. He said it had been dropped at some point and would require everything to be replaced of which it would cost me out of pocket to get the parts. He said if I wanted to sew multiple thicknesses to get a Singer 4423 which I did. It is great for what I do. I dont know if it would give you the space you need for your projects but it works great for everything I do. No speed control except my touch.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:48 AM

I have a Juki 2200 QVP Mini. It has a larger throat. I've done quilts as large as 60 x 90 with no problem at all. I'm going to quilt a king size quilt on it soon. We'll see how that goes. The more I use this machine, the more I like it. Its straight stitch only, has speed control, auto cut, the basics. I think its a well made reliable machine. The biggest problem I have with it is light. I need some better lighting on it. I just haven't gotten around to getting any.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:21 AM

Thank you for the information. I'm leaning towards a Juki machine. My DH thinks I'm being silly since I have a Pfaff Ambition 620, Brothers Dream Machine II (used for embroidery only so far) and Brothers Lauren Ashley.

Jennifer
Goatmom
Old 09-17-2022, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a straight stitch only Juki TL98 and a Baby-Loc Jane . Juki is much better than Jane. No thread cutter on Juki. Jane does but doesn't always. Bobbin winder doesn't turn off. It needs service. Juki never needs service. I keep them clean and oiled. Both have 9" throats.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Goatmom View Post
Thank you for the information. I'm leaning towards a Juki machine. My DH thinks I'm being silly since I have a Pfaff Ambition 620, Brothers Dream Machine II (used for embroidery only so far) and Brothers Lauren Ashley.

Jennifer
Goatmom
You need to tell your husband that I have (at last count) 10 machines. lol IMHO, you can never have too many sewing machines.

I just looked it up and the 2200 mini has a throat space that is 9 inches long but it's also 6 inches high which is higher than most machines and gives you a lot of extra space when quilting. Here's a fairly comprehensive review of the machine that I found and it's pretty accurate in my experience with mine https://www.jukiclub.com/little-long-arm/

I forgot to add. This is virtually the same machine as the TL-2010. It has different packaging and comes with some extra feet. Other than that, I'm told it's the same.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-17-2022 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:15 PM

Another very satisfied owner of a Juki 2200 QVP Mini and agree with Patrice that the 9" width + 6" height provides great visibility. I, too, own several other machines that range from older/mechanical to newer computerized. All of these machines have a place and a purpose so adding a straight stitch machine makes clear sense (to me!) The Juki is a strong workhorse that I would never get rid of.

When I bought the Juki (2017) I also went to the Brother shop and tried the 1500 but for some reason I just liked the Juki better - even though they are very, very similar machines. I elected to buy the 2200 vs the 2010 Juki because add'l presser feet were included and it made sense for me. I think there were some add'l little improvements in the 2200 but by now there must be one or two even newer models with more features. It's a never ending temptation. Find what suits you and go for it!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 09-17-2022, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

I have the straight stitch Juki tl98 and it has a thread cutter , manually and on the foot control. Brother machines vary from on the shelf to very high end. I have Brother420 and it is wonderful. I also have a Janome, Bernina, two Singers, A singer Featherweight, and three Brothers, one for embroidery. I had more but rehomed them.