Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Motor for Lady Kenmore 516.891 >

Motor for Lady Kenmore 516.891

Motor for Lady Kenmore 516.891

Old 09-20-2022, 01:49 PM

If you remove the pulley and the 2 external nuts at that end, you should be able to slide off the pulley end motor cover, and it should look something like the picture. You can do this without disturbing the brushes. Removing the 2 internal nuts on each side of the brush plate will allow complete disassembly. If you remove either cover do so carefully as there will be washers/spacers/shims on each end of the shaft, on the inside, up against the bushings. It's important to pay attention to the order of these washers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20220920_163101.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	640564  
Old 09-20-2022, 02:31 PM

I have a few questions: how is that you're sure that the noise is coming from the windings? What kind of noise is it?

I'm a bit at a loss as to how windings can make noise. There are no moving parts in the windings. The windings form part of the rotar which is attached to shaft and the whole thing spins. I would have thought that any would be coming from the brushes or the entire rotar assembly, ie. the shaft, rattling back and forth because it's missing a washer or a shim. Alternatively, I suppose the brushes could be rattling inside the brush housings or if a brush is worn down enough, the spring that the brush is attached to is scraping on the commutator.

If it's the latter, then if you use the motor you might ruin it.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
If you remove the pulley and the 2 external nuts at that end, you should be able to slide off the pulley end motor cover, and it should look something like the picture. You can do this without disturbing the brushes. Removing the 2 internal nuts on each side of the brush plate will allow complete disassembly. If you remove either cover do so carefully as there will be washers/spacers/shims on each end of the shaft, on the inside, up against the bushings. It's important to pay attention to the order of these washers.
The attached photo was helpful.

I took the motor apart. The commutator had no wear. I did turn it in my drill press and clean the carbon off. I bought brushes at the hardware store, but they were the same length as the original brushes which I re-installed. It is inconvenient to install these brushes and reassemble the motor. The later style motor shown in the video would be an improvement The motor runs a little quieter now, but not what I want. I'll probably buy an L frame motor from Amazon. Maybe an electronic controller. Suggestions for the controller would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:46 AM

I'm a little late to reply, but when the motor is apart it's a good idea to clean both ends of the shaft as well as the inside of the bearings. I use a polishing grit sandpaper on the shafts. I used to use a bore brush chocked in the drill for the bearings, but have switched to the same sandpaper for those as well.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:11 PM

I cleaned the motor and very small amount of carbon off the commutator, and cleaned the shafts. I made sure the bushings had oil, but not too much. The bushings were not worn. The motor turned easily by hand. After reinstalling the motor the noise was no better. I looked up a local sewing machine repairman. He told me some of the cheap USA made motors could do that and suggested that I change the motor. So, I bought a $20 low mileage Kenmore motor and installed it. No more noise.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:20 PM

So glad you got it worked out.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)