Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Skepticism toward first automobiles >

Skepticism toward first automobiles

Skepticism toward first automobiles

Old 07-23-2022, 02:02 PM

The last few years have made me very cynical. If someone is pushing for XYZ, I always look for the money behind their so-called motives. There are *always* unintended consequences to every so-called advancement and they're usually worse than the consequences behind the original way of doing things. I don't understand why stuff has to get shoved down our throats and be made mandatory. EVs and hybrids aren't exactly what I would call "new" ideas, but they definitely need time to work out bugs.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
Interesting question. Makes me wonder if our gas pumps work during a power outage. I think they require electicity.
I agree I do believe they require electricity. However this is the very reason we keep quite a bit of gas at home in gas cans - we rotate out but we always keep them full. The last few years have taught me not to rely on anyone or anything except ourselves.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:00 AM

I have been in the electric car bandwagon for some time, but my husband raised an interesting question recently. He said % our gas taxes help,to,pay for roads, etc. if we all went electric, where would the money come from to repaid roads? Taxes somewhere else? And I’m curious about the small amount of driving time on an electric car plus where are the places to charge and how is it paid for the electricity? So,e vehicles run only short times before charging and some run much longer but none of them will even get me to PA (from NC), to way upstate NY or out to CO without recharging which for some models can take hours. I have yet to read any comments from good sources regarding these questions.

Thanks,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 07-25-2022, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ladyinpurple135 View Post
I have been in the electric car bandwagon for some time, but my husband raised an interesting question recently. He said % our gas taxes help,to,pay for roads, etc. if we all went electric, where would the money come from to repaid roads? Taxes somewhere else? And I’m curious about the small amount of driving time on an electric car plus where are the places to charge and how is it paid for the electricity? So,e vehicles run only short times before charging and some run much longer but none of them will even get me to PA (from NC), to way upstate NY or out to CO without recharging which for some models can take hours. I have yet to read any comments from good sources regarding these questions.

Thanks,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
I pay a $100 a year surcharge when I renew my tags for my hybrid Prius. I believe that is to offset the loss of taxes received.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:52 PM

solar panels on the roof....and/or maybe bring along a horse & some oats...then you could do the road trip

Old 09-26-2022, 04:28 AM

Will we have to go to EVs, or hybrids in OUR lifetime? Doubtful. But we need to look beyond ourselves and help prepare for future generations. Working through the issues now will make these more reliable and sustainable for our children and grandchildren - and beyond. Why is that such an unacceptable thing for so many to consider?
Old 09-26-2022, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Will we have to go to EVs, or hybrids in OUR lifetime? Doubtful. But we need to look beyond ourselves and help prepare for future generations. Working through the issues now will make these more reliable and sustainable for our children and grandchildren - and beyond. Why is that such an unacceptable thing for so many to consider?
So true, we need to think beyond our own lifetime. In fact, true planning looks ahead seven generations. When will greed end and people stop behaving as though it's just about "me".

There are lots of scare sites promoting the idea that batteries are wrecking the earth and full of limited commodities, therefore we should stick with oil and gas. Big red flag to that argument is that oil and gas are limited as well but that fact is conveniently overlooked to make the argument.

As with any other vehicle, you get what you pay for with electric vehicles. Pricier options go farther per charge. Batteries last about 17 years and there is virtually no maintenance since there aren't the same moving parts as in an internal combustion engine. Here in BC the government has made sure there are charging stations everywhere. I live in the north and we have them in all the communities as well as at highway rest stops. Cars have the same kind of batteries as your electronic devices which can charge pretty quickly.

Here is good information from the US government; a reliable source.https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...batteries.html

One day I hope to own one.