Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 11-26-2022, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by SuzSLO View Post
Kristi: I realized as I was cutting strips today that I am not very good at “stash busting.” I semi-panic if I get close to the end of a fabric and start to think that I need to head to the store to replace it. For some reason, spreading each fabric over many projects makes me happy. It calls back memories of working on other quilts, especially Bonnie quilts.
I love this!! Having the same fabric in multiple quilts is wonderful. I'm so glad you've found a way to do this. I always struggle with 'how much should I buy?'. I worry about either not having enough or having too much and getting tired of it. I tend to make smaller quilts so if I buy a 1/2 yard I do end up using that in multiple projects. At some point, though, I usually end up going on a color spree (and make a monochrome quilt) to clean out a color way that needs refreshing!
Old 11-26-2022, 09:53 PM

I'm happy with my progress thus far. I did decide to use one set of fabrics for each unit of clue #1; I have my test 4-patch done, and I should be able to get my test 9-patch put together tomorrow and post a photo. Then on to sewing and pressing the rest of the clue!
Old 11-27-2022, 04:25 AM

Joining to see fabric choices.....I don't have enough of the orange.....no shops nearby😢
Will have to change my colorway, and I am not good with that......
Old 11-27-2022, 04:34 AM

Will have to change my colorway, and I am not good with that......[/QUOTE]
just pick something you love. I substituted grey for purple and peach for orange. Kinda beachy!
Old 11-27-2022, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
Joining to see fabric choices.....I don't have enough of the orange.....no shops nearby😢
I'm going to substitute hot pink for the orange. Since it's only one color, it's not super different from the original colorway. Hot Pink/Orange aren't that far apart on the color wheel.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
I love this site for color inspiration! I am horrible at choosing colors….

https://colorpalettes.net/
Old 11-27-2022, 12:28 PM

It's been three years since I've done a BH mystery, and realised why when I was cutting and sewing these tiny units. I really don't like working with such small pieces. But I committed to doing a half size, so will persevere. I've finished the nine patches and am working on the four patches now. Have almost all of the latter sewn but not pressed or trimmed. All from stash except one third yard of blue since I felt I needed something brighter.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BH- 9patches.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	641530  
Old 11-27-2022, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I love this site for color inspiration! I am horrible at choosing colors….

https://colorpalettes.net/
I've used that site before but had lost the link, so thanks for posting it. Looking at the contrasting paletts, no. 4241 looks like a good substitute as it uses aqua, purple and hot pink. That would be striking. Me, I just stole the colours from someone who posted on BH's FB page.
Old 11-27-2022, 02:02 PM

Belfrybat - Your blocks look great! I am at the same stage as you, except in reverse! I got all the four patches completed, and am working on the nine patches.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
It's been three years since I've done a BH mystery, and realised why when I was cutting and sewing these tiny units. I really don't like working with such small pieces. But I committed to doing a half size, so will persevere. I've finished the nine patches and am working on the four patches now. Have almost all of the latter sewn but not pressed or trimmed. All from stash except one third yard of blue since I felt I needed something brighter.
I love your greens with the blue! Well done, your units look marvelous!