Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Non fusible interfacing for machine applique >

Non fusible interfacing for machine applique

Non fusible interfacing for machine applique

Old 01-22-2023, 03:53 AM

Default Non fusible interfacing for machine applique

What is your recommendation for the best and thinnest non-fusible backing for machine applique? Fusibles are always stiff and don't allow the applique to poop. Has anyone used a brand they really like?
Old 01-22-2023, 03:54 AM

That's POOF not POOP. LOL
Old 01-22-2023, 08:40 AM

I have "Soft & Sheer" for machine embroidery…non fusible…I light wet but strong and will not tear. Mine came in a pkg of 50 sheets, 8x8 inches and cost $8,99 when I bought from zeiglersembroiderysupply.com. But I’ve had the pkg for a few yrs so price may be diff now. It’s very soft and flexible— perfect for knits or any garment that touches the skin. This might work for your appliqués .

Last edited by mermaid; 01-22-2023 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 09:06 AM

Lori Holt, the queen of applique, recommends light/medium weight interfacing. Of course she want you to buy hers, but you can find it at Joanns for alot less with coupons.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:15 PM

Pellon has a great lightweight sew-in interfacing. It’s like a spiderweb. I also use Misty Fuse which is a fusible but super lightweight. Also like spiderweb.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:29 PM
Power Poster

You also “ window” your appliqué pieces. That is when you trace your appliqué outline on the fusible, you make another line 1/4 inch in from the outline. You cut the fusible on the second line and remove the centre portion. You then fuse the window to the back of the appliqué shape. There is probably a YouTube tutorial on windowing a fusible appliqué.
Old 01-23-2023, 07:56 AM

I'm so relieved your appliques are popping and not pooping!
I never can remember which very lightweight interfacing I've liked but would rather go to a place like JoAnn's and feel it before purchasing. One of these days, I'll remember to write down which one I like for each purpose. I'd like to make up a card with the information of the manufacturer, number or name of the interfacing, and then staple a sample to that card.