Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beautiful Quilt Block wallhanging >

Beautiful Quilt Block wallhanging

Beautiful Quilt Block wallhanging

Old 02-08-2023, 10:23 AM

Default Beautiful Quilt Block wallhanging

I had lunch at a restaurant yesterday, and at each booth was a different quilt block mounted on something and hung on the wall. They were all so pretty! Some were simple and some were intricate paper pieced blocks. Each one was for sale, and priced between $35 - $45. There was no visible frame, but I could feel something like a frame under the block. The back was enclosed with matting paper and a picture hanger was attached to the back. I would like to make some quilt blocks to hang on the walls at my home. But, I do not know what type of framing or hanging products to use or how to put it together. Can anyone give me some information on how to make these? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2023, 12:02 PM
mkc

I did a quick search on "mounting quilt block to frame" - might it have been done with Velcro? Hang It Up: Making Your Art Quilt Art

ETA - or this, which looks pretty neat! How to stretch a quilt over a frame

Last edited by mkc; 02-08-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:31 PM

I mount mine on plain painting canvases that I buy from Michael's.They come in tons of sizes. I decide what size I am going to make and then either leave and extra 3" all the way around that doesn't get quilted or add strips at the end to make up the 3". Then, you stretch the block over the canvas and staple into the edges of the fabric (not the block) and into the back of the frame.
This video is very basic, but if you search you will find more.

Watson

Mounting quilt on canvas
Old 02-08-2023, 02:08 PM

These links look like good resources! I'll check them out. Thanks!

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
I did a quick search on "mounting quilt block to frame" - might it have been done with Velcro? Hang It Up: Making Your Art Quilt Art

ETA - or this, which looks pretty neat! How to stretch a quilt over a frame
Old 02-08-2023, 02:11 PM

Thank you Watson. Glad to hear from someone who has done this before. The video will help. I suspected the ones I saw were on canvas board, but I could only feel it, so I could not tell. It looks pretty simple. Hope so!

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I mount mine on plain painting canvases that I buy from Michael's.They come in tons of sizes. I decide what size I am going to make and then either leave and extra 3" all the way around that doesn't get quilted or add strips at the end to make up the 3". Then, you stretch the block over the canvas and staple into the edges of the fabric (not the block) and into the back of the frame.

Watson

Mounting quilt on canvas
Old 02-09-2023, 05:57 AM

I have used painting canvases as well.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:00 AM

Doris, my local hospital has quilt blocks going down the hall from the clinic to the elevators. I thought it a nice touch myself. They're not for sale though.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Interesting. I think next time someone asks me how much would it be to make them a quilt it will be so much per block. Makes sense.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:05 AM

I do love the idea of the quilt blocks hung in hospital hall. I imagine it's very cheerful. And, when a quilter sees those, it would also be comforting.

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Doris, my local hospital has quilt blocks going down the hall from the clinic to the elevators. I thought it a nice touch myself. They're not for sale though.
Old 02-14-2023, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post

Watson

Mounting quilt on canvas

if you cannot find a canvas frame the size you need, you can also purchase the frame in pieces at the length you need. It will not have the canvas on it but that is not necessary. These are readily available at any art supply store. I don’t know about craft stores.