Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incorrect angled rulers >

Incorrect angled rulers

Incorrect angled rulers

Old 03-16-2023, 01:27 PM
Gay

Question Incorrect angled rulers

Has anyone bought a a ruler for rotary cutting that is not true to expected measurements? Have not had to use it, but recently checked a triangle ruler supposed to have 60dgree angles, but found to have one of 65, one 59 and one 56. How is a person supposed to not have problems making up a quilt that requires all 60dgree angles.
Will be interested to see your responses. Thank you all.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:54 PM

Ha! maybe they only want you to use their ruler on their pattern and never on another.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:12 PM

Wow!! If this was just a 60 degree ruler and not one associated with a specific pattern (their pattern, their ruler) I would be taking it back to the store for a refund!!!

I have found that one of my 12x6 inch rulers is out by 1/16 of an inch in one direction. Very annoying, but now that I know, I allow for it.
Old 03-16-2023, 03:20 PM

I had a drunkards path ruler that did not fit together well at all. found out after cutting many of them out. one should be able to lay the "pie" small piece over the larger "arc" piece fitting the 1/4 inch seam allowance and getting the sides perfectly square. That did not happen. all my lovely christmas fabric cuts. I finished the quilt top and gave it to charity. tossed those rulers out.
Now i check that....
Old 03-16-2023, 05:10 PM
bj

My issue I’ve run into is my favorite ruler is also my oldest ruler. I noticed the other day it’s developed a very slight curve on one side (from the rotary cutter, I’m sure). And I can’t find another one like it. It’s a bummer. I’ve used it for 20 yrs. I have retired it, though (0:
Old 03-16-2023, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Has anyone bought a a ruler for rotary cutting that is not true to expected measurements? Have not had to use it, but recently checked a triangle ruler supposed to have 60dgree angles, but found to have one of 65, one 59 and one 56. How is a person supposed to not have problems making up a quilt that requires all 60dgree angles.
Will be interested to see your responses. Thank you all.
What brand of ruler was it?
Old 03-16-2023, 09:22 PM
Gay

Patrice S - It is a Tri Tool by Simplicity, not for a specific project, just thought I would need it 'someday', but haven't used it for anything yet. Unfortunately I've had it a couple of years now so can't get a refund, but will mention it to the LQS next time I'm in town
Old 03-17-2023, 01:45 AM

The tri-rec tool is not supposed to be an equilateral triangle, which has 60° angles. The angle at the top is about 54°, which is what is needed for specific quilt patterns, such as the 54-40 or fight. When the two templates are used together, you will get a triangles within a rectangle
Old 03-17-2023, 02:54 AM

My thinking. Please tell me if I'm correct. The TriRec rulers are for specific patterns, perhaps those made by them. I had one of those that I wanted to use for one of the kaleidoscope quilts and it simply did not work. The TriRec rulers are not interchangeable with the standard rulers.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:34 AM

You are correct. Illinois. The two parts of the TriRec ruler set must be used together to make a triangle within a square, but the large triangle ruler cannot be used in place of a 60 degree ruler (altho I have used a 60 degree ruler to make a version of the 54 40 block.)