Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Laura Heine collage quilts, done any? >

Laura Heine collage quilts, done any?

Laura Heine collage quilts, done any?

Old 03-16-2023, 10:59 AM

I did a bunny….much smaller than most of hers….and liked the process although it was slow going. Kept changing my mind about what I wanted where. I just appliquéd it to a piece of fabric with batting and the back. Didn’t go all over the actual collage since it was going on a wall. I have the dog pattern but haven’t gotten around to doing it. If I can figure out how to add a picture, I will.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
Everyone of those patterns looks beautiful but the ones I've seen in person are too stiff for a true quilt. Great for a wall hanging. Not so good to warm my bed.
Can't imagine wanting one for a quilt either Mine will be specifically for hanging.
OneByOne, Snippets would have drove you mad, they were the size of fingernail clippings!
Old 03-17-2023, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

OneByOne, Snippets would have drove you mad, they were the size of fingernail clippings!

Oh! I took a class years ago when Snippets were popular. It was the first guild class I ever signed up to take. I did a vase of flowers, I think. I have no idea what I did with it. I haven't though about it until you posted this. And you are right I did not like Snippets. LOL Took too much time for what I finished with.
Old 03-17-2023, 06:26 AM

I did a Laura Heine pattern. Loved it. I think these are Australian flowers because I don’t see them here in the US. I brought out my batik scrap box. Went through it. You only need a small pieces to make up the flowers. Great way to use up my stash of background fabrics. My daughter claimed it. I may make a second one. I used the invisible thread with a zigzag stitch to secure my pieces down.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AD43E559-D225-46D1-94F9-4D8A1403A9E0.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	643096  
Old 03-17-2023, 01:37 PM

very pretty, thank you for sharing Gail. We went to a quilt show today and I spotted the Fox pattern across the room, too cute.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:19 AM

I've made a few of her patterns and have made a few "self designed" patterns. I have used a basic shape, such as a mermaid and built from that. This is my recent favorite quilting style.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:05 AM

I've heard of her patterns before, but never looked them up until today. Thought the five patterns of florals were very interesting and something I'd enjoy doing. Willl have to think about it though as I'm trying to work on several other quilt patterns I've started.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:41 AM

She has two styles Linda, the floral ones that makes wonderful use of big and small floral prints, and what she calls Painterly, where the colors of the fabric create the item or scene. I prefer the painterly ones, probably because I don't have any florals I could build my own kit from
Old 03-30-2023, 02:17 PM

Here is a picture of the Seahorse I made using Laura Heine's pattern and instructions. In addition to her pattern, I also bought a small book of hers with more details and ideas. I love how it turned out. For the background I used a hand dyed fabric that I purchased for another project that never got off the ground. I thought it was just right for the Seahorse. Quilted it on my Pfaff dsm with a clear thread. Just wavy lines that I hoped would give a feeling of water movement. I did get some stickiness build up on the needle. I finally kept a bottle of alcohol and some tissues near the machine and cleaned it off when needed. There are needles now that are supposed to be non-stick, but it sounds like you have a plan for using heat so maybe that will work you. I'm sure you will love your sunflowers. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1051.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	643286  
Old 03-31-2023, 06:12 AM

well I've had the pattern out and looked at it Bit of deer in the headlights effect I think. I'm looking forward to it though. Your seahorse is gorgeous, thank you for sharing it!