Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question for long armers >

Question for long armers

Question for long armers

Old 03-30-2023, 08:20 AM

Question Question for long armers

I am making a quilt for my son, he doesn't want batting and wants the minky like backing. I have it on the frame and am using the needle and thread that is recommended to use together. However the thread or needle is pulling the nap to the top and dots of the backing are showing. I don't know how to check the tension in the fuzzy backing but it looks good on the top. I have even tried to adjust the tension to see if that makes a difference. I tried poly thread and it worked better but still dots along the stitch line. I have changed needles and have ordered a smaller needle to try. I have even put samples of batting materials along the side to see if any type helps and there was no difference. Any suggestion would be so very much appreciated!!
Lynda
Old 03-30-2023, 09:46 AM

I've heard this a lot from people who use a Minkee backing and no batting. The solution is to use batting. You could also try a layer of cotton between the Minkee and the top, but I can't say if that's worked for other people.
I'm not sure what kind of batting you tested with, maybe try a thicker cotton or poly. It will be a warm quilt for sure.

Why does your son not want any batting?
Old 03-30-2023, 10:25 AM

Is the fabric in your top looser weave? Is your thread size larger? Have you tried a thinner weight thread? Have you tried loosening the tension on the top thread? I think, I would try those things. I did a search, you are not along. Several people mentioned that using a thin batting does help with this issue. Another mentioned they had gotten their minky from a big box store, went and got real minky and no longer had that problem, another one changed the color of the quilting thread to match the backing so the pulled up minky would not be as obvious. One said she prewashed the minky on cold and then tumbled dry on low or air.

Last edited by sewingpup; 03-30-2023 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:15 PM

I've learned that if you quilt it from the back, it doesn't poke through to the front. However, that's not always possible.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:25 PM

I tried the different typed of layers and there was no difference.
Old 03-30-2023, 04:26 PM

sewingpup. I think I tried all those things but am trying to find a poly thread. I only have one on hand and it did help but still had dots.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:28 PM

I had that happen once when I used a "minky" backing from Jo-Ann Fabrics instead of the Shannon Cuddle that I usually use. I tried everything you did. I finally just tore off the backing and bought a piece of the Shannon. End of problem.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:59 AM

I found l got " pushed around" over seam intersections when quilting without batting. However, for your particular problem, try adding a layer of flannel or muslin between layers, and try a 14 needle. You'll need to slow your speed of motion with the 14 , as it's easily flexed/ bent.
Old 03-31-2023, 04:16 PM

I have a long arm and the speed doesn't change. Well that isn't true the machine slows and speeds as needed. I have tried samples of different types of batting and flannel was one of those. I am using a 14 needle and have changed to a new one. I think I have to use a slick poly thread. I haven't done over any seams yet just experimenting before I ruin the quilt.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:00 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by lwbuchholz View Post
I have a long arm and the speed doesn't change. Well that isn't true the machine slows and speeds as needed.
The comment about slowing down isn't about the SPM (stitches per minute), it's about how fast the head moves. Too fast and you flex a 14 needle. The head (whether hand guided or by robotics) needs to move x and y much slower for a 14 needle than a typical 16 or 18 needle or you will flex (skipped stitches) or break the needle.