Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thinning out the stash by making small household items >

Thinning out the stash by making small household items

Thinning out the stash by making small household items

Old 05-30-2023, 05:21 AM

Default Thinning out the stash by making small household items

I need to trim down my stash, so I've been looking for small, easy, fast projects for things to make for the home. I've got a few ideas: napkins, placemats, throw pillow covers, simple covers for outdoor furniture cushions, etc. Anyone have some other good ideas?
Old 05-30-2023, 06:16 AM

Well I have never seen or heard of these, but apparently you can make handles for your fridge doors to keep them clean 🤪 https://lifesewsavory.com/how-to-sew...handle-covers/
Old 05-30-2023, 06:54 AM

If you keep small appliances on your counter, make covers for them. Curtains for the windows. I even have short curtains on all my windows and doors in my garages to spruce them up. Just because they're a garage doesn't mean they can't be pretty too. Hot pads, table runners for each holiday or season. I made a small cover to go behind my head for my recliners as when I come from outside from working hard, my head might be sweaty and if I lay back on my recliner to relax, this keeps the sweat off the chair and onto the cover. Also, my cats like to lay on the top of the recliner so this also keeps the hair off.

Might make a lap quilt for the car to take from short or long trips, trash bags for the car.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:43 AM

small items don't use much stash but the favorite not-quilt thing I've ever made is napkins. I made the first ones too small, plenty big to use, but felt like I was getting cheated. The last bunch I made I used the last of my special Aboriginal fabrics Rob brought me from his Australia/New Zealand trip, cut them 12" then two quarter folds and stitched. Love 'em.
I just fold in 1/3's and hand press from the dryer.

Pillow cases use up quite a bit of fabric and can also be donated to shelters etc. I use french seams on the inside so there is no raveling and make them about 6" longer than commercial ones, feels luxurious to me. The last bunch I made I added some hexie border trim.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pillowcase hexie dots.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	644248   Click image for larger version

Name:	pillowcase neutral hexies.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	644249  
Old 05-30-2023, 08:15 AM

Mug rugs, hot pads, cooking mits!
Old 05-30-2023, 08:35 AM

fabric boxes for storage, bags for groceries (can be washed) and gifting in place of paper or bought gift bags. . Dog mats for creates and dog beds. small scraps can be used for cards. Just do some decrotive stitching on them.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I've been making kids summer clothes to donate to a mission trip to Guatemala. I have a cute playdress pattern that uses only 1 yard of fabric and takes only 1 hour to make. I also have been making shorts for boys, again 1 yard, and less than an hour to make. It feels so good to cut through some nice stash and make things that are actually needed.

This is the dress pattern I'm using:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1030593...d7654720214cb6

These are the 1 hour shorts I'm making for the boys:
https://puperita.com/product/shorts-...n-sharky-1232/
Old 05-30-2023, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Kalama, love your pillowcases with the 30's print hexie border! Super cute on polka dots.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Well I have never seen or heard of these, but apparently you can make handles for your fridge doors to keep them clean 🤪 https://lifesewsavory.com/how-to-sew...handle-covers/

I like that idea, I may have to make handle covers for my fridge and oven.
Old 05-30-2023, 09:21 AM

I’ve made This apron.

Its all straight cutting and sewing, and if you don’t have enough to make it out of one fabric, I’m sure it would be lovely colour blocked.