Price of hamburger

Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Carrie
I watch for Manager's Specials on beef roasts and grind it for hamburger and freeze right away. This last batch came to $2.04 lb and is very lean and I know what is in it. The 85% lean was $3.89 that week; so quite a savings.
i buy the sale roasts for stew and soup. would you believe that roast is often cheaper than stew meat? ridiculous!

and when you make mexican, making rice and beans chemically creates a perfect, fat-free protein. add veggies and you're good to go. btw, cheese is very high calorie. in mexican, watch out!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 AM

Eggs are sky-high here. I am hoping the price drops around Easter and then will buy several dozen. To freeze, you mix one in a sandwich baggie and then place all the baggies in a freezer ziplock gallon bag. When you mix it in the sandwich baggie, if you are going to use it for eating mix 1/8 tsp of salt in it. If you are going to use them for baking mix 1/8 tsp sugar in it. If you are not using extra large eggs then just use a pinch of salt or sugar. Works great and they keep for a year or so.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM

eggs are cheap as dirt here. in an asian market, the best kind around here, you can get super jumbo, fresh from a jersey farm for $1.89 this week. the price fluctuates as the hens lay, but the top price is about $2.29.

the reason the asian markets are the best for eggs, fish and veggies is that they carry the freshest food for their own culture. they get deliveries every single day, even sundays. but since dairy is not a large part of the asian diet, that's not so good there.
you buy the fish swimming around in huge tanks by pointing to the one you want and they clean it and filet or slice it for you. they give you the bones to make broth for wonderful chowder.
i've done that and it's worth the little effort it takes.

when dh deep-water fishes, i do the same thing.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM

It's not only hambugar my hole food bill went up from about 80$ to almost well last weekend i spent $200.00 on just a weeks worth of food for 5 people i just fell on the floor.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM

Living on a farm, raising beef, it is finally a God-send to get a decent price for what we work so hard for - we can finally see the hard labor paying off -

BUT, on the other side of the coin, when I too stop at the meat counter, almost shun from buying meat in general - it is all so high, and it hurts the pocketbook a lot!

But, it is the way to pass on the price of beef on the hoof to the consumer when they need to eat.

I truly am sorry gals/guys, but if you notice, it is all grocery items anymore - and clothing, and cars, and and and - there is nothing cheap anymore; hambuurger used to be a poor man's food. Now the poor man can no longer afford to eat it and my question is where is it going to end? Yes, we love to finally get a decent price for our cattle when we sell, but the other end of the spectrum hurts us as much as anyone; we do not raise our beef to butcher one - it would be way to much beef for us - we are two in this family - so we feel the hurt like anyone else.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Yes, grocery shopping has gotten so expensive. I am almost out of my last years frozen garden stuff, so I have had to buy more veggies, cant believe how much they went up!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 PM

I am lucky as we raise our own beef. :-D
Old 03-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Some of the best hamburger we've had was made ourselves! We buy good cuts of beef whenever we find good prices and grind it ourselves. I grew up on a small farm and do miss those days. I used to serve my family lamb about once a month but can no longer afford even the cheapest cuts now!
Old 03-18-2011, 06:17 AM

we only eat ground turkey but I noticed the price is going up too
Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 AM

Just got back from the store - got a family pack of ground chuck (4 lbs)for $8.96 and seven boneless skinless chicken breast for $6.79, plus free I got a package of white mushrooms, 1lb of carrots and 2 lbs of onions. So basically I almost got the chicken breasts free!!!!! and paid for the mushrooms, carrots and onions. That was a good deal.

I watch the prices like a hawk! That's the only way to do it!

Have a good weekend - It is absolutely gorgeous here now - it's warming up, snow is melting like crazy, the sun is out, I can see blue skies and all's well. Edie