Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric? >

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

anyone else remember the days when they clipped and ripped the fabric?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Oh yes i do, some ladies in amish country still do
Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
Anyone remember the days that the fabric was clipped by scissors then with two hands ripped so the fabric would be straight? Or, was she just the madd madd fabric ladie of J C Penny's? hah! Yes, that is where I got my fabric for my "Marsha Marsha" Brady clothes I made.
Yes.... and once in awhile I've asked for it to be ripped on the straight grain, and the gal looks at me like I have two heads. (the batiks are the worst to rip though)

You have to get a clerk with grey hair. :lol:
Mary Jo herself waited on me a few times at her awesome store near Charlotte, and we talked about that. She rips, but has trouble with the fractions of measurement. Darling lady, I think she may be in her early 80's.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Yes, although I haven't thought of it for years or the little machine they feed the fabric through to measure it.

Although I do trust the measurements at my favorite quilt shop, Main Street Quilting in Bozeman, the measurements from JoAnne's are often not so correct.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 AM

I remember and if straight of grain is important to a project, I will do this to make sure it is straight before I start the project. I learned it from my sewing teacher in 7th grade in the mid 50's. I remember them doing this in the stores also. Take care.
Linda
Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 AM

A member of my forum, years ago when I first started quilting, used to have a company making quilting kits and her slogan was "I rip to sew" and she told me ALWAYS rip. Now I teach my pupils to rip, especially larger pieces. I suggest that they take quite a width off, preferably 3", why because out of that they should be able to trim it back to be able to use it for binding, if it comes to 3" or over they use it for "piano bindings" then the "frayed" edge is finely trimmed by rotary cutting. It cuts down the wastage to a minimum as all our LQS cut and they don't know how :shock:
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 AM

Lynn- That's not a stupid question- theres is no such thing! When you clip and rip selvage to selvage, then you are ripping on the crosswise grain. If you clip and rip parallel to the selvage you are ripping down the length of the fabric...length wise grain. You probably would have a lot of trouble ripping the fabric into smaller squares, so it would be easier and far more accurate to use your roatary cutter or scissors (does anyone use scissors anymore?)
Old 04-13-2011, 08:59 AM

I too am of the older generation where they nipped it with the little machine. I worked in an old fashioned "mercantile" when I was in my teens and measured many yards of fabric that way. GOOD memories! I hoped it would be on the auction when the store contents were sold but it wasn't, nor was the thread cabinet which I dearly wanted. But I did buy the old time coffee grinder - oh, the smell of grinding fresh coffee beans.............(I still don't like the taste, tho). The store owner's son told me he thought I was buying memories - yeah, well - sometimes you can do that. And when I moved to town 6 1/2 years ago, I discovered that my middle son loved it (I was wondering what to do with it), so now he proudly displays it at his house with a basket of bags of coffee beans - some from the original store!

WOW - I sure got way off topic, didn't I?? Sorry......
Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I went to a local shop that I have frequented often. The older lady that owned the shop always cut the fabric. The new owners tear the fabric. I found it quite disearning that she did this. I felt like she was kicking my dog. Now when I go in I ask them to cut it. She didn't like it, but she did it.
Peace and Blessings
wow..to me ripping the fabric is like belching after a good meal...it is paying both the fabric and me a compliment by insuring I got the BEST cut of fabric they could offer me!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

when I lived out in the villages in Alaska I was amazed to watch the Y'pik ladies make their Kuspuq's with NO pattern, they measured the person, chalked lines, snip and rip...the entire thing was made with No pattern at all....

Ms Barbara in front of some Girls kupsuq's the made for her grands!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183630[/ATTACH]

Ms Annie Lou Williams Tribal Chief of Lower Kalskag Alaska showing us Kuspuq making
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183638[/ATTACH]

Ms Helen O'Brien helping with the Kuspuqs
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183639[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183624.jpe   attachment-183632.jpe   attachment-183633.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ndgirl
I too am of the older generation where they nipped it with the little machine. I worked in an old fashioned "mercantile" when I was in my teens and measured many yards of fabric that way. GOOD memories! I hoped it would be on the auction when the store contents were sold but it wasn't, nor was the thread cabinet which I dearly wanted. But I did buy the old time coffee grinder - oh, the smell of grinding fresh coffee beans.............(I still don't like the taste, tho). The store owner's son told me he thought I was buying memories - yeah, well - sometimes you can do that. And when I moved to town 6 1/2 years ago, I discovered that my middle son loved it (I was wondering what to do with it), so now he proudly displays it at his house with a basket of bags of coffee beans - some from the original store!

WOW - I sure got way off topic, didn't I?? Sorry......
Let's call us the "wiser generation" shall we?