Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a challenge for you all >

I have a challenge for you all

I have a challenge for you all

Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM

You're on...............
Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 AM

Love the challenge. Our guild makes and gives out about 45-60 "Care Quilts" every fall to groups here in our community. They look forward to these quilts.
We have a challenge for the first night of guild in fall. You get $5.oo off your registration fee if you bring in a completed care quilt. It will be interesting to see how many we get.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:30 AM

I'm going to do this!!! What a wonderful idea. One time our LQS made lap robes for an entire nursing facility. The patients were happy.........but their families were thrilled!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I'm already thinking Christmas and what everyone's faces will look like when they open their gifts. Then for some reason, my mind strayed to those who don't get gifts at Christmas, or don't get to see their families. And it made me sad, all those frowns and sad people on Christmas.

So I decided I was going to make 1 extra quilt and give it to one of the local nursing homes. I was watching All in the Family last night, and I think this is where the idea came from, and Edith was working at the Sunshine Home and the one lady died and was sort of upset that her daughter hadn't come to visit her in a while, and how she was sad.

So I'm going to make 1 extra quilt, even just a lap quilt, and take it to the nursing home and have it all tied up in a nice simple red bow, and ask the front desk to take it to someone who doesn't receive many visitors.

SO my challenge to you is to make one extra quilt, just one, it can be a patchwork or anything you like, and take it to either a nursing home, a homeless shelter and just donate it to the shelter, or the local children's home because I know every year ours goes around and asks for gifts to give the children so that each child can open at least 1 present.

I'll keep you posted on my quilt and you can post yours as well if you want.
Don't wait for christmas! I am giving the works for 4 kids quilts to be assembled by my quilter friends and donated now too.
...and go visit the lonly ones yourself!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM

Love this idea. Count me in!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Great idea!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:55 AM

I have been giving a few lap quilts to a nursing home where my aunt is confined with alzheimers. It ia a shame that so many are there without friends or family being a regular visitor. The patients are so appreciative of any small gift.
Your idea is great, maybe more of our quilter friends will do the same. My Church does lap prayer quilts, so making an extra one along isn't a problem and it is rewarding to me to do something for someone else.
Doris1334
Old 07-03-2011, 11:19 AM

I love this idea! My MIL lives in a small living care facility. They only have 11 beds. The staff prefers to use fleece for 'nap' time. About half of the residents sit in the living room & dose while watching TV during this time. If I buy fleece remnants & make one of these shoulder wraps each payday then I'll enough for Christmas time.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM

That is a great challenge...whether it is a quilt for someone at a nursing home...or a child....there certainly is someone that could use a quilt. Last year a group of us adopted a family, and I made a quilt for one of the children...and also bought a fun rug to match....she wanted room decorations.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:40 AM

This is a wonderful idea for all of us. I began doing this for Orphan Grain Train when Katrina hit. I sent 144 baby and lap quilts through them. I am not saying this for the glory. It has been a great way to use up scraps.
This year I have sent 85 through them so far for Haiti.
Going through this agency makes sure they used. If they don't need them for a global tragedy, them use them here in the USA like for miners in KY.
Check and see if there is a local agency in your area that dose this too. They say they are all over the USA. They do not use ang funds that are given to them for any administerative (sp?) costs.
My local hospital was going to dispose of a lot of sheets and pillow cases. Rather than have them burn or just put in dumptster. I get them. They are all clean. I use the sheets as the backs of the quilts. This helps reuse.
Then for centers I hunt up old blankets that are begging to be used rather than burned, I give them life as the center.
Old electric ones can be used if you cut them at the one end and then pull the wires out .
I just tie the quilts insted if trying to hand or machine quilt.
I hope this gives you all some ideas.
Weslynn