Glad this holiday is over

Old 12-27-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
Oh, Jacquie, what a bummer!
I do love Christmas..always have. But I do put myself in a dither during this time of year. I always say, right after Christmas, that I am going to start working on Christmas presents for next Christmas. Never happens and I am always burning the midnight oil the last week before Christmas. My own fault and I desperately need to change tactics.
Once again I am saying that NOW I am going to start on presents for this coming Christmas and we'll see how well I do!
Oh, that sounds just like me! I had decided just this morning that I would plan now for next year....we"ll see! For us the holidays aren't over til Jan. 6. But a few realxing days along the way..like yesterday and today. It's all good.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I'm always glad when Christmas is over but, glad it comes so we can go out and celebrate our anniversary the 30th. This year will be our 50th.
Congratulations! We celebrated our 46th anniversary on the 18th of December. Our anniversary tends to get lost in the Christmas rush. Like a lot of people, I don't like the way Christmas has become so commercialized. I have fond memories of simpler times. The best part of Christmas is being wiith family. Our family group has gotten smaller. All our parents are gone now. My mother passed away the day before our anniversary 2 years ago. She was the last living parent. My sister and best friend died unexpectedly about 6 months before my mother. There are a lot of empty places at our celebrations now, so the holidays are bittersweet. I wish we could all focus on the Reason for th Season.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick View Post
I have a hard time every year!!!!! We did not go see DH's grand-kids this year, this is the first year we have not at least gone up on Christmas eve to see them so I was disappointed. I made each of the kids a quilt so it would have been nice to see them. I am glad it is over and I am already dreading next year. Maybe next year I will find a "groove" when we are moved into the new house and not as cramped; but for the last few years it has been hard to get into the spirit; and maybe DH will have got out of his funk.
My husband tends to get depressed this time of year as well. I wonder if it is some leftover disappointment from a childhood Christmas. I wish they would do self-analysis like we do and we could meet it head on!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Christmas was a real bummer. I always have depression problems during the holidays. DH has physically reached the point where we have been unable to travel out of town for several years, and he always gets down this time of year too. So I do not see any of my family. I did not even put up the tree for the first time ever. Why bother when I am the only one to see it (DH is in bed whenever he is home, cerebral palsy is making his life miserable). Guess I could go on feeling sorry for myself, but it is time to get over it.
So Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM

I'm glad the "crunch" is over, but it's still the holidays for me. Now I just get to kick back, have hot chocolate, and finish my knitting with kitties on my lap giving me supervision.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
yep..I was the same way...but then on Friday I got the news that the state of OK was fining me for all of my online sales. They claim that I neglected to file EVERY sale from 08-&09 as EXCEPT from OK tax, so now I have to not only pay those taxes, but a 10% fine and 15% something else. I have 30 days to come up with $4,500.00 and I have not worked in over a year....pretty much has sent me into a deep depression and even deeper hatred of this state and its love of taxes!

Ouch! The one and only quilt shop in my town was shut down due to the owner not paying all her state taxes. Her inventory was sold at auction as she couldn't pay all the back taxes at one time. She didn't see the need to pay for a specialized bookkeeping service and thought she was doing it right as she did all her tax returns herself. She almost lost her home as the shop wasn't incorporated. Something she didn't know about either. She told me she was still paying her attorney fees but the tax situation was all cleared up.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Love them this year, daughter and son cooked, and it was at daughter's house. How great a gift that was all by itself!
Old 12-27-2011, 01:44 PM

By mutual agreement, we have stopped buying presents for anyone but the grandchildren - and we only have two. It has made Christmases so much easier, relaxed and more fun. I did sew a few things for the grandchildren - T shirts, a doll etc. And I covered a coulple of pillows in Christmas fabric. But I kept myself under control there too. Has been much better.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Happy Annivesary, and may you celebrate many more.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by wendygirl View Post
I can't wait for it to all be over. I developed a nasty case of shingles the first of the month and just as I thought it was healing, I got a second round of blisters for Christmas! I'm so tired of it--I want out of this nightmare and could I please have a do-over?
Wendy, I know how you must feel. I've had the shingles twice and its no fun. Hope you recover quickly and feel better.