Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Discouraged >
  • Discouraged

• Discouraged

Old 01-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    Sometimes I too get discouraged or confused .. unsure ... about either a fabric, a pattern choice, a technique ... whatever.

My sewing room is the small bedroom at the beginning of the long hallway. I have to walk past it to get to the bathroom or my bedroom - so I pass it several times during the day.

When I'm having one of these moments I make a point of clearing off my cutting table (which sits in the center of my sewing room so is easily visible from the doorway as I walk past), and placing the "offending" quilt flat out on the table with nothing else on it. I have no choice but to look at it several times a day. But, in walking past and looking at it, I get ideas. Patterns suddendly "make sense", color choices pop out and hit me, new techniques look clear, and idea's come to me. If something occurs to me while walking past - I'll pop in and audition it, work out the math, draw sketches, or even just run it over in my brain some more. Eventually ... it comes. I've had projects (bargello are a good example as I usually take a lot of time auditioning colors/fabrics for those) sit there for weeks just looking at me. I've even had visitors make comments that led to the right idea. I may pop in and remove a fabric and replace it, make a quick sketch, hold a thread up to it to audition quilting motifs, and often I'll walk away because not every idea is a good one

So, walk away ... but not completely. You never know where inspiration or sudden clarity is going to come from, or when.
    DogHouseMom, you sound just like me. I have to walk past my sewing room with cutting table in the middle of the room and I do the same thing. I put things that stump me on the table, and eventually I get around to figuring out what was bothering me about the project.

I agree totally with your comments!
    Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM

I talked my friend and neighbor into doing a mystery quilt. We thought it was pretty simple. Week (month) 3 is triangles sewed onto diamonds. I thought I was following the picture exactly, but had diamonds going the long way. She told me to "just do it like this" and did not notice I had the diamond going the wrong way.

What does that have to do with this tread you ask? She has been sewing for 30 yrs. and assumed I saw what she saw.

Anyhow........ trying to put those 16 blocks together really aggravated me. I wondered why I was doing a mystery quilt. I wondered why she didn't give me the tip that the diamonds are cut on 3" diagonal. (My template was off, I had to re-do so much)

I am proud of me for sticking with it.

You will be happy to sew your quilt eventually. You may need to get away from it for a while.
    Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jacque
    The past few months I have had trouble figuring out my quilt patterns. I don't know why but it is causing me a lot of discouraged moments. I, almost, feel like quitting quilting but I have so much involved in it with fabric and a new machine that isn't a good idea either. Does anyone else get discouraged? What do you do about it?
    If you haven't had a complete physical lately, get one. I don't mind the idea that you get discouraged -- we all do from time to time, especially when we are overwhelmed by everyday life. But this idea of having difficulty figuring out quilt patterns is something else altogether. You could have something as simple as Pernicious Anemia -- not enough Vitamin B12 absorption -- especially if you are getting older. Very common. It can really affect the way you think and retain information, and can also affect mood and depression. Or it could be your thyroid. Or lots of curable or at least manageable problems. Does not mean you are developing Alzheimers, although in severe cases, Pernicious Anemia can mimic mild Alzheimer's. Tell the doctor you have having trouble following written directions. Tell him/her how discouraged you feel. Get to the root of the problem! Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a Nurse Practitioner, but this has a medical feel to it, so do yourself a favor and get a check up. Can't hurt.
    Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 AM

MacThayer is so right. I am embarassed and ashamed that I didn't catch on to this myself. I mentioned my own medical issues that cause me these problems but I failed to encourage you to get a checkup yourself. The key words are "in the last few months".
    It is so true that most of us feel frustrated and discouraged at times, but any time you notice a real change like this, it is always best to check for a physical cause before blowing it off as "normal". For me it is normal because I have already had the medical exams and know the underlying causes.
    Please let me add my voice of encouragement urging you to make an appointment with your doctor and have a complete checkup and stress to him these recent issues you are having.
    Huggggggggs and smiless.......
    Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 AM
    RDM

I've had moments when I felt over challenged by a technique. I agree with others good to set it aside and go to a favorite quilt pattern in your fave fabrics. When you are ready to pick up what has you discouraged, if you have a LQS, take it there and they may have tips and tricks on how to overcome the hurdles. Or if you have friends within a guild, that's a great place to seek help. Don't give up, create what you enjoy. I wish you sunshine in your sewing room.
    Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
    RDM

I had to share again that I understand your feelings. Applique and FMQ has me discouraged, yet both something I want to master.
    Old 01-23-2012, 09:23 AM

I'm in the same place right now. I can't get back to sewing. What I did was sign up for a quilting class. There is no place like being with a group of women who love to quilt. There is always help available and many shortcut ideas. Good Luck!!
    Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Jacque... yes, I also have trouble figuring out what to do... or if I can do it.. lol.. but sometimes it just takes a step back and wait until something pops into your head ! It will.. don't worry! By the way... I see you and I have the same name, too ! Where are you located? Is your name cut short for Jacqueline... ?mine is not... it is just Jacque..
    Old 01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
    Power Poster

I sometimes I feel this way about my house, my car, my furniture, and my clothes. Nothing seems right, just blah. I think it's just part of living to feel 'no use in trying' sometimes.
    Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM

When I feel that way, I still make quilts, but do something really basic like 4 patches and 9 patches. Then go back to something that you were feeling discouraged about. If it is still a problem, maybe you can find someone to help you with it, ask at your LQS, post here what the problem is with it...and hopefully you will get past your discouragement, and get back in a groove again.