Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scrap Happy Baskets DONE! >

Scrap Happy Baskets DONE!

Scrap Happy Baskets DONE!

Old 08-17-2014, 04:10 AM

You are truly an inspiration to use up scraps!
Love your quilt and amazed at your quilting.
Way to quilt!
Old 08-17-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
At last it's done! My pictures aren't real good. What I wouldn't give for a studio with more natural lighting. Well anyway, this little quilt is my design. It's a old quilt block pattern that I redesigned. It was great for using up some small pieces of scrap. How many different fabrics? I'm not sure but I can tell you there's over 50, might be closer to 100. Some dating back at least 40 years, some brand new...and don't tell anybody but there's a few sheets and shirts in there too, it'll be our little secret. The backing is jut an old piece of ugly fabric, it's my sorta my trademark to have a hideous backing. What can I say other than there's no rules in quilting so I do it my way and my way is using what I have on hand. And it would break my heart to use my good fabric on the back only to want it for a quilt top later. I've put myself on a quilting budget, in hopes of someday having no fabric stash. That's the plan anyway.

Well lets get back to the quilt. The basket is pieced and then the applique is added to the block. The applique is raw edge fusible. If your want good tips on this method here's a link

http://ivoryspring.wordpress.com/201...ible-applique/

The only thing I do differently is I use 100wt thread for the outer stitching. I've also used the same thread for the quilting. InvisaFil is my thread of choice, light weight, backtracks beautifully and the white blends into just about any fabric. It's used quilt the entire quilt.

This was quilted on a Bailey's Home Quilter 15, on a Hinterberg stretch frame. The only reason I'm adding the sewing machine details is because I see a lot of questions about the BHQ here on the QB. I love my BHQ, it has allowed me to quilt much more efficiently with out going into debt. If you're a whiner with no patience for a learning curve this is not the machine for you. It's not high speed stitching and the Regulator is old school, no lightening stitch. Well I think that about cover it all. Thanks for taking a peek!

~ Lea Anne ~
That is just beautiful I love the scrappy but yet very elegant looking at the same time I really just love it
Old 08-17-2014, 05:03 AM

I absolutely love this quilt and your quilting is fabulous. Can't wait to purchase a longarm.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:08 AM

May I add my praise for happy ? I love the ugly fabric. The flowers are so fresh and colorful....Hugs
Old 08-17-2014, 05:15 AM

You always do such a beautiful job.............such an eye for color too. Your quilting is phenomenal. Hope to practice enough to get somewhere near that, some day. Thanks again for brightening my day.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 AM

Wonderful quilt-love the happiness of the fabrics and flowers. Your quilting is overwhelmingly gorgeous. Thanks for the information on the thread; I’m taking notes.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 AM

If yours is not perfect, then, tell me what is??? Beautiful, love it, good job well done.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:38 AM

LOVE EVERYTHING about this quilt, bright, cheery, beautiful and any other adjective I can think of. I have a question for you regarding the thread you used. Are you referring to the thread for the applique pieces or the quilting itself. I am currently doing a block of the month in all flowers and am appliqueing the flowers with decorative stitches & contrasting color and each squares background is also done ahead of time with decorative stitches and I vary the thread color depending on what colors are in the applique pieces. Am having a lot of fun with it and never ever thought I would like doing machine applique. This all came about because I bought a new sewing machine and the quilt was hanging on the wall in the shop.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:55 AM

What a delightful quilt! While your backing may have been hideous to start with, your quilting has made it beautiful.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Absolutely stunning!!!