Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Guild Age Limit??? >
  • Guild Age Limit???

• Guild Age Limit???

Old 01-28-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface
    I am still searching for a guild that will talk about news, politics, science and all subjects dealing with quilts, fabric, and the arts . The ones I have visited as a guest, which has been a rare occurrence (professional working full time) dwell on adult kids, grandkids, medications, aches and pain - all of which I have nothing in common to share. Lol
    i won't give up yet trying to find a guild that meets on a Saturday.
    LOL. I'm looking for a guild so I can get away from news, politics and science and just talk about quilts, quilting, fabrics and color! I have enough of the other at work.
    Old 02-11-2017, 10:56 PM

Teens can become members of my guild, but almost never do. I think that is fine, and would like to encourage the next generation to sew, especially since it is generally no longer taught in schools. A separate issue is really young children, 8 or younger. As far as I know, there isn't a problem with anyone bringing young children because they couldn't get a babysitter. I have never seen it. Anyone is welcome at my guild meetings as long as they have a personal interest in quilting. They have to be there for the right reason.
    Old 02-12-2017, 06:34 AM

My 2 cents -- address behavior not age.

I was about 5 or 6 when my mother took some knitting classes. She didn't have a babysitter so I went along. I was a quiet and shy child so it wasn't a problem for anyone. I only have a faint memory of going along. Mom probably had me take a book or some paper and crayons. But also, I was used to entertaining myself while my older siblings were at school and we didn't have close neighbors.

I can see where some workshops might be limited to over age 10 and actually quilting or even over 18 (adult only).
    Old 02-25-2017, 05:58 PM

I think it would be a shame to limit based on age. My 10 year old mature and is excellent with a sewing machine but we are limited to taking classes or workshops together online because our local classes require participants to be older. When I was growing up, sewing and quilting was a multigenerational activity and I think that should be encouraged. don't get me wrong, I know my 6 year old would be a distraction and would not be interested anyway. I also know some 13 year olds that would be distracting. However, I think some of the child care coop that others have suggested or rules for removing disruptive children could accomplish the objective better than an age exclusion.