Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Wedding Dress quilt? >

A Wedding Dress quilt?

A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 04-26-2010, 10:00 AM

I guess one question that is going through my mind is "what pleasure is she getting from a dress hanging in the closet" and what pleasure would she get from a quilt that she could display"? My assumption is that she wants to create a new treasure from an old treasure. I think it's a neat idea.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by sewjean
What if she doesn't change her mind aaaaaand asks someone else to make a quilt for her? Maybe see it from her point of view and change your mind.There are many ways to use it and it will be something she can tell others about her special day & her Mother made this for her. Something to think about!
My daughter made you say that, didn't she? :D
(I don't want to admit it but you're right that she might ask someone else to make it. I hadn't thought of that)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
You could always just be honest with her and tell her that you don't feel comfortable making it. Maybe that would be enough for her to change her mind :)
ROFLMAO You've never met my daughter, have you? :) :)
Once she gets an idea it's hard to change her mind. (She must have gotten that character flaw from her father....lol)
Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM

I think the wedding dress quilt is a wonderful idea. Most of the time the Wedding dress is packed up in box and placed in the back of the closet and seldom thought about. Making a quilt from the dress will remind your daughter of that special day and the love that her and her husband share each day.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM

sometimes we are too close to a situation and can't see all of the options! I have a habit of saying "It's just a Whatever (Insert your word to replace whatever)
Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM

How strange to find this post today. Guess what I worked on over the weekend, you guessed it! I incorporated a wedding dress into a quilt! It is a long story, but a young lady from our Church assumed that I would make her a baby quilt, because she'd seen me give them as gifts in the past. So, she sent me a link to colors/style that she was using for the baby's room. Well, I got to work on it right away, after much planning etc. I got the top done. Then about a week later, she contacted me and said she'd always wanted her wedding dress to be part of a baby quilt and would I do that for her. I told her it was too late, the only thing I could offer would be to back it with her dress fabric. Well the following Sunday, she brought her dress to Church for me to use!!! I did not touch it for a month! But I finally decided that it was what she wanted, so I made the fatal cut this past weekend. I did all kinds of free motion quilting, actually did it with the backing side up so I could work around the embellishments. The FMQ looks great on the satin!!! The quilt is stiffer than any I've done before, I think because the satin was so heavy duty.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM

gorgeous quilt! Wow breathtaking!
Old 04-26-2010, 03:55 PM

oh do you have any pics to share. Im sure everyone wants to see.lol I bet it was very very nice Thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
Originally Posted by mic-pa
I don't know anyone who did this either and I have been quilting and owned a quilt shop for years. But I think it is a fantastic idea. Either that or make a christening gown for your first grand child. What is the point of it sitting in a box for years and years. Marge
Making a christening gown for grandkids would be a great idea!!
But all my grandkids are already here (at least that's what my DDs tell me....).
Too bad. Now that's an idea I like.
According to my late mother, her mother (my grandmother) took her own wedding dress apart and made a christening gown from it. All eleven of her children wore it when each was christened. Unfortunately, none of us...even my mom...never saw the dress. I have a wedding picture of my late grandparents, and for that time (early 1900's), Grandma's dress was beautiful! I did make my own wedding dress of white velvet...simple pattern because of the fabric...and it is in stored away right now, but to make a quilt from it is a novel idea...would have to be simple, but I'm not sure how I would embelish it...
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM

I had an idea...but it might be too gruesome to share.

When a dear friend passed away, her wishes were to have an extremely simple casket. When it arrived, her children were in some shock at its stark simplicity. They asked for my help. We discussed it and I lined her casket with antique satin and made a quilt out of the same satin, adding wedding lace at the very top for viewing. I also made a pillow for her head. This helped the children and it turned out beautifully. She looked like a bride. Before she was buried, the youngest child took it as his heirloom. And my friend was then wrapped in another cloth for burial.

I never thought of using her wedding dress for the material.

It was not difficult for me to do this (even tho it's a bit unusual) because I knew she was a very special person. Since we did not have any sisters of our own, we adopted each other as our sister. Did we ever have fun until cancer took her life.

Any feedback