Quilters from Iowa

Old 10-24-2010, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

We ought to meet up in Ottumwa! I have been to some fabric shops in Osky but not in Ottumwa. It would be fun!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Ottumwa is about an hour and 15 minutes from here too. We go through there on our way to Fairfield, where my BIL has a hunting farm.
BTW, I'm in Sully. Sully is just N of Pella.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:22 AM

Oskaloosa used to be a shopping center when I was younger????? Had friends in Charitan and Ottumwa. Have even gone to Ottumwa to catch the train to CA. You are all in my old stomping grounds. It would be nice to go back and meet some of you, if that can be arranged. Also go through Ottumwa on my way to Columbia, MO where one of my boys lives. Welcome to the board. Marge L.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by Gma Cindy
Hi
I am from Hawkeye in NE Iowa!
I help host a Quilt Show here every year in June at K&K Gardens..It is so cool to see the quilts and flowers blended together with antique props...would make a nice day trip for all you Iowa girls...
I will mark my calendar! Oh wait gotta get a 2011 one soon!
Gonna mark my calendar also, what a neat day trip for us girls.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Someone closer to Ottumwa want to organize a get together? My DH would have to come with me. He is in a wheelchair.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 PM

I am living in Ottumwa moved here a year ago from Des Moines
Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 AM

I'm in Sigourney

Ottumwa has 2 quilt shops that I know of,
1st (On Main, first building east of Unemployment office) doesn't have much fabric as it is more of an antique store but they do have every DMC floss you could want hehe.

The 2nd (The Sewing house, on North davis just off church st sorta near taco johns ) is an awesome place and the fella that owns/operates it is great so are the staff always helpful and polite.
They have scads of fabrics and last I was in there they were getting the bali batiks in. they also sell Janome machines and service bout anything that walks in the door.

Osky on the other hand the only place that has any fabric is Walmart but they do have a nice selection and the regular ladies that work the cutting table are always helpful and know what they're talking about (most of them anyway)
Old 10-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dvseals
I'm in Sigourney

Ottumwa has 2 quilt shops that I know of,
1st (On Main, first building east of Unemployment office) doesn't have much fabric as it is more of an antique store but they do have every DMC floss you could want hehe.

The 2nd (The Sewing house, on North davis just off church st sorta near taco johns ) is an awesome place and the fella that owns/operates it is great so are the staff always helpful and polite.
They have scads of fabrics and last I was in there they were getting the bali batiks in. they also sell Janome machines and service bout anything that walks in the door.

Osky on the other hand the only place that has any fabric is Walmart but they do have a nice selection and the regular ladies that work the cutting table are always helpful and know what they're talking about (most of them anyway)
Spent alot of my married life in Sigourney. My inlaws had a farm 8 miles north of Sigourney and 2 miles south of Keswick. They moved into Sigourney and retired off the farm years ago. Then my FIL passed away and my MIL moved down to Burlington where the youngest son lives.
I still have a BIL and family in What Cheer and Mom still owns the house in Sigourney. She lets differant family members stay there from time to time. One BIL uses it as his base but he travels some with the roofing comp he works for.

I miss the days of spending the weekends on the farm and in and around Sigourney/ Osky / What Cheer.
It still seems weird not to travel to Sigourney. May have to take a trip up just to look around again.
We used to go fishing at Yenrougis. It was fun to take the kids there.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:02 AM
JT

I'm from Waverly. Northeast Iowa!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Montrose little town on the Mississippi River very very southeast Iowa