Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now >

Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now

Things I've learned the hard way and what I do about them now

Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I wash all my fabric as soon as it comes into my home. Color Catchers are highly perfumed, bad news for an asthmatic person. So I can't say if they work or not. When
I think of all the hands that have touched my fabrics before
I bought them, it kinda grosses me out. The new fabrics are smelly from chemicals and perfumes.
I noticed you (purplefiend) mentioned this in a post you made earlier in this thread. I'm a little perplexed by this as I have a box of CC and can't detect any fragrance at all. I wonder if in some places you can get CC with fragrance and that is what you picked up...or my smeller is on the fritz. I do understand that people sensitive to chemicals cannot tolerate even the slightest unnatural smell so maybe that is the case. Regardless, I do wish you could use the CC as they are a wonderful product that had been proven to me over and over. God Bless.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I noticed you (purplefiend) mentioned this in a post you made earlier in this thread. I'm a little perplexed by this as I have a box of CC and can't detect any fragrance at all. I wonder if in some places you can get CC with fragrance and that is what you picked up...or my smeller is on the fritz. I do understand that people sensitive to chemicals cannot tolerate even the slightest unnatural smell so maybe that is the case. Regardless, I do wish you could use the CC as they are a wonderful product that had been proven to me over and over. God Bless.
I went back and read some of my earlier posts...seems that I'm repeating myself.
:oops:
I opened the box of CC when I got home and it was so smelly it gave me a headache. :? :(
Old 11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

23) For me, sometimes the "slower", apparently more inefficient ways have worked out better.

Examples:

Washing and ironing/pressing fabric before cutting -

Rotary cutting single layers rather than multiple layers because I feel that my cuts are more accurate. (And if I do measure wrong, it's less fabric wasted)

Of course, it may be that my blade is dull and needs to be changed.

Trimming/squaring HSTs before going on to the next step. There probably are more efficient ways to do them, but this seems to be working. And cutting +1 inch instead of +7/8 inch definitely helps me.

Stopping to pet the cat when he wants to be petted.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Thanx for the post. and I might add to my list that every project is a joy to start, and the next one will always be "better"
Old 12-30-2010, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

24) It's good to be open to new ideas - even when the suggester of them is someone that irritates me almost to the nth degree.

25) It's also good to test out a theory or claim for myself - just because some "noted author" thinks doing or not doing something is a good thing - it may not be appropriate for the type of things I make or do.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
Men do shy away from pink!!! Pink handles are so pretty!!
I had to laugh at this one. I had bought a set of tools for my classroom several years ago. They came in a pink tool box and had pink handles. One day the male teacher across the hall was in my room and saw me using the pink hammer and teased me about it. A few days later, though, he came to my room and sheepishly asked if he could borrow my pink hammer! It became a joke between the two of us, although he eventually brought his own hammer to school.

Now I have that pink tool case in my sewing studio, although my DH is great about loaning me his tools and fixing things around the house. He, too, is an engineer, so I can relate to alll the engineer posts, too. My dad was an engineer, too, so I grew up with "it".
Old 01-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

26) It's okay to ignore everything to do with quilting for a while.

(unless someone that is paying you to do something is waiting - - - - )
Old 06-29-2011, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by seamstome
Rule number whatever....Everything in quilting dulls after awhile. This applies to fabric, scissors, blades and especially the quilter's brain.
I'm going to include this as #26 from seamstone

#26 Everything in quilting dulls after awhile. This applies to fabric, scissors, blades, and especially the quilter's brain.

This is true - and I've decided to not worry about it.

#27 If I ask someone if something needs to be fixed or changed - it probably should be.

Even if "it" doesn't bother the other person, or isn't immediately obvious to the other person - it will be bothering me because I know it isn't as good as it could/should be when I know it is a fixable glitch. I will feel much better about it if I do "make it as right as I can"

(Kind of in the same category as wearing pantyhose with runs in them under slacks)

Doing something over can be a bother and time consuming - especially if one is facing a deadline. In many cases, I think making the remedy is worth the effort.

Doing the best one can really doesn't take that much longer than doing something half-fast. And it definitely takes a lot less time than "doing over"

My Mom said "perfection is not possible - HOWEVER, excellence is" (The best one can do at this time with what one has to do with)

#28 If an error is noticed after the project is completed - and a "glitch" is noticed then - and it isn't totally mucking up the item - keep one's mouth shut! If someone wants to point out the anomaly - give them an "I Found Waldo" Award!

#29 - I do "simple" quite well. I know there are some things I am not "good" at - some things I know I am "better than average" at. Celebrate what one can do - and don't mourn over what one can't/won't do!