Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric. >

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Does anyone else hate the task of picking out fabric.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by mommamac
my problem is narrowing down my choices to what I really need. Do you ever go buddy shopping - have a friend pick out fabrics for you
Love your avatar!!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by klgreene
You sound like my sister. We could go into a fabric store, and in 5 min. I have a handful of fabric. She's still looking 45 min. later. TO me that's the first fun part of a quilt.
I am like that....I start with one color and build the quilt palette from there. Lay bolts on a table or in a basket or on top of other bolts, and lay the others over, next to, etc to see how they work together. Try lots of different ones...colors, prints, etc. If you start with a print, take all the colors in the print and get fabrics with just those colors. You'll start enjoying it...it's like painting a picture.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
I absolutely love picking out fabric, wish I could buy some!!!
My favorite part, also!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:06 PM

That's my favorite part!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM

I never have a problem picking the fabric if I have money. It is usually the $$$ that prevent me from buying more.

I take a lot of pleasure when my friends ask me to come and assist them with their choices - it's like being in Aladin's Cave!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I'm with cjomomma, I love picking out fabrics. I rarely make a mistake on color or anything on fabric I can touch. Online I've chosen a little off a few times. But, as I tell my daughter, don't panic until you've sewn together a few blocks. Make a choice and go for it.
I read some where once if you think your quilt pieces and colors don't go together, your pieces are too big.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
I start with one color and build the quilt palette from there. Lay bolts on a table or in a basket or on top of other bolts, and lay the others over, next to, etc to see how they work together. Try lots of different ones...colors, prints, etc. If you start with a print, take all the colors in the print and get fabrics with just those colors. You'll start enjoying it...it's like painting a picture.
That's how I do it. Don't let it overwhelm you. Just find the focus (focal) print you want and go from there. You don't need to pick it all at one time or in one store.

Also, ask the shop staff for a small strip of the fabric you are considering to take home and check out before you purchase something you are not sure about.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Maribeth
Originally Posted by jljack
I start with one color and build the quilt palette from there. Lay bolts on a table or in a basket or on top of other bolts, and lay the others over, next to, etc to see how they work together. Try lots of different ones...colors, prints, etc. If you start with a print, take all the colors in the print and get fabrics with just those colors. You'll start enjoying it...it's like painting a picture.
That's how I do it. Don't let it overwhelm you. Just find the focus (focal) print you want and go from there. You don't need to pick it all at one time or in one store.

Also, ask the shop staff for a small strip of the fabric you are considering to take home and check out before you purchase something you are not sure about.
There is absolutely no way we would get a sample!!!(LOL)
Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM

my problem w/picking out fabric is that so many bolts are calling my name.... and they jump in my bag...

always surprised when i go into my lqs for a spool of thread, and walk out $40-50 shorter of when i came in!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Cyn

I'm not good at picking out colors so I always ask the other people in the shop!