Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Donations >

Donations

Donations

Old 12-09-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by libertykm
What a great way to give at Christmas. I think I will work on quilts this year, using the flannel I got on sale at Joann's on Black Friday. I bought enough to make quite a few quilts. What size did you make? I'm new and want to make the easiest most economical quilts I can. I don't know how to actually quilt, so I will probably have to tie. Don't know how to do that either but will figure out. If you have any good advise it would be appreciated. What about ragged, would that be good.
I'm sure any type of construction would be good. Rag quilts are easy to construct, but sure take time for the clipping. I usually make simple medallion centers with a double inner border and an outer border, or a simple nine patch center with an inner and outer border. It all depends on how much fabric I have of a particular design or color. I sometimes even take a panel for the center and add borders. I buy JoAnns "red dot" fabric when it is 50% off, so runs between $1-3/yard. I then quilt in the ditch and sometimes in a grid or meander. With Warm and Natural batting, you only have to quilt every 10 inches. I make make them either 36 x 44 or 44 x 60 so as to get the most out of my fabric without having to piece the backing. They are not made bed size, but rather as "cuddle blankets". If you want any more info, please PM me and I'm happy to share whatever else I can with you.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Peggi
That is wonderful but how do you find out how many kids are in the shelter so no one is left out. I need to find me a cause such as yours. God Bless you!
I called them to see how many children they had because I know they can only sleep 30 moms and kids. She said probably 15 was enoughfor each child to receive a blanket, but since I didn't know the gender, I sent a few extra. I think with the small local charities it is a little more personal.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by lillybeck
What a great way to make the day for those kids.God will send blessings your way. Merry Christmas
The day was really made for me...and Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Calico92402
The abused women's shelter is my pet-charity for quilts, and your note has inspired me to get busy!!! Out of curiosity, did you put labels on all the quilts?
No, I never really thought about it, but that is certainly something I will do next year. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:59 PM

You can't put a price on the way you must have made them feel, and in return how you felt. You are blessed, and are a blessing to your community!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Evie
Barbara, what a wonderful thing you've done. I'll have to locate such a shelter here in L.A. so I can do something as generous.

(On a different topic: I talked with Bernie and Jeanie about our online "meeting" and they think we should meet in person next time I get up to your area. What do you think?)
Thanks Evie...Sounds like a great idea, and just a note, one of the quilts was the one Bernie made during our "Quilting 101".
Old 12-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Tis the season for giving and you did good.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Lulu's Mama
Same with me. Grandkids all grown too. Here I sit and feel really good about contributing and never a lonely, un-used moment. If I'm not sewing, I'm buying material, that's for sure. My sister just learned she has brain cancer and she used to sew too. I took over her quilts too, now am making for charity in her name as well. Hopefully she will some day be able to do it again, she is improving after chemo and radiation. I will continue as long as I need to. That's the least we can do for each other.
Lulu's Mama
I am so happy your sister is doing well. My thought and prayers for her.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:25 PM

your a blessing. :thumbup:
Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Hi Barbara, That is wonderful. I know how you feel.
I have been just crocheting as many hours as I can for the last couple of months and letting my things go on the way side just to see how many crocheted hats I can get finished for or donation pot luck.... I am at very close oe over 60 hats for child, and Adult.... We give to 3 different charity's.
We do quilts, clothing , toys, house wares, anything the womens and childresn shelters can use. I feel blessed to be giving too. God Bless you to do more.
ConnieF