How did you meet?

Old 01-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Believe it or not, I met my DH at the State Fair. It was a set up by my SIL, but that is where we met
Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 PM

As a single 22 year old I ate out at every opportunity. A small Mom & Pop place opened up down the street from me so I decided to try it out - when I walked in my "prince Vliant was the only person in the postage stamp dining area - thinking "wow! He's cute" I walked around the area pretending to looke for a place to sit. when he FINALLY got the hint he ask me to sit with him. He had just gotten out of the Navy and was letting his hair grow and becoming a hippie, which suited my hippie heart just fine. We would meet every evening after work to eat and talk until one evening the place was pretty packed and I invited him down to my apt and the rest, as they say is history - we met the last of Jan and married 4 months later - this coming June 3 will be 39 years. It hasn't always been easy but I wouldn't trade any of them for anything.

Our dd has a story nearly as interesting - while in college she moved into an old victorian house that was full of young people - before she moved in she had met all of the roomies but one guy - once moved in they met one evening and he said "you don't remember me, do you?". They had atteded church camp together for several though never ran in the same circles (his was the go to the fishing pond with other guys - hers was the social circle)and then later we attended the same church as his family when they were older - hadn't thought of them in years but once she moved in they danced around each other for about a year (she was recovering from a bad relationship) before they started dating - they dated for about a year and ended up going to Cozumel, Mexico to get married - they've been married for five years and seem very happy - fit each other well - and are expecting their first child in March -

I love hearing how everyone met - love the stories :)
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM

We met on a blind date at the end of January, 1983. We had a really nice time-went to a credit union dinner dance. I also won a blender (that I still use today), He won a calculator that died awhile ago. By April we were engaged and we got married in July. It has been great.

I enjoy hearing the stories, too.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
I met my husband of 52+ years on a blind date at Northern Illinois University.
That's in my neck of the woods! Live about 1/2 hour from NIU. Congrats!

To make a long story short, we met on pogo.com in one of the game rooms. There was a lady in the game room that would type in the first line of a song and then tell everyone to sing with her and others would take turns typing in the next line until we'd gone all the way through the song. DH typed in the first line of a song and I type in something like "Oh wow, my mom used to sing that song all the time when I was growing up, but it was the most embarassing thing ever." He wanted me to fill him in about the story in the open room and I refused so we started chatting in a private message and I told him the story. We started checking in with each other every day after work to chat for a few minutes and gradually the time we chatted got longer and longer and after about 2 1/2 months decided he would make the 7 hour drive to meet me in April of 2004. For a little over 2 years one of us would make the drive every 2 or 3 weeks to spend about 48 hours together. He moved in with me in May 2006, married in April 2007. I'd previously been married for 27 years before my divorce and he'd never been married before. My kids adore him and he's done a wonderful job walking into a ready-made family with 2 adult children, a sullen teenager and an alcoholic ex who was causing tons of trouble for all of us. He's been such a great role model for the kids and a stabilizing influence. Now, all 3 kids are adults, 2 have married, we're going to be grandparents for the 1st time and even the ex has gone through rehab and repaired his relationship with all 3 of our children. Life is great!!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM

I met my husband at work also. We worked on the same line in a factory. We have married now for 1 1/2 years. Hoping for many many more.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:37 PM

I met my DH when I was a student nurse and he was a patient. My classmate was assigned as his nurse and she asked me to give him his medicines while she was at lunch. One of those meds was an injection. He likes to tell people that the first thing I ever said to him was "pull your pants down". We've been together 49 yrs.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My husband was the newly hired engineer. I was the department secretary.

I have NEVER been hit on by a stranger anywhere. My husband says it's because I put out a vibe that is too independent for most men's tastes. I think it would be a great ego boost to get an offer from a stranger at a store but the only offers that come my way are things like, "Hey lady! Can you help me load this new fridge?"
Lisa, I think these fellows are seeing our muscles, from farm work, and are instantly attracted to hard workers. LOL
Old 01-06-2011, 04:44 PM

I met my DH of 40 yrs this year on a blind date! He worked with a guy and I worked with his wife! It took them 6 weeks to get us together. We married 1 yr later almost to the day of our first date! He always says I propose to him on our second date!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Met at college got engaged 2 months late had to wait till summer intersession to get married. It will be 63 years this July. It has been great. Lucky I found the right one so young.:)
Old 01-06-2011, 05:09 PM

3rd time is the charm!

Met 1st one on a blind date when I was 16 stayed married for almost 14 yrs and had 2 wonderful sons...he decided drugs/drinks were more fun than me so off I sent his hide.

Met 2nd through my mom...he was 17 yrs older than me and I thought it wasn't a problem...until everything I liked was "stupid" He found someone even younger than me so off he went...strike 2

Dated several guys at once (like in the old days when people just "dated") then put an ad online when none of the guys I was seeing were available to go out one weekend. Got an email back from one that said "I'm just what you're looking for" since I didn't want anything serious. That was in 2002 and we've been married since 2003.

Wouldn't trade him for a million dollars! Our birthday/anniversay/birthday are Oct 3, 4 & 5 so we can celebrate for 3 days straight!

I do believe your true love is out there...just have to go through some bad seeds to get the sweetest fruit