Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Magazines/they are piling up! >

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Quilting Magazines/they are piling up!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanniejo
I have gotten so everwhelmed with magazines that I let all of them lapse! I figure I really see one it the strore that I need I'll buy it, other wise I'm doing what some of you are, putting the ones I really like into folders and trashing the rest. It has gotten so most of the quilt mags are just advertisments and the last Quilters News Letter I got I just threw out! There wasn't anything it it that appealed to me, too far out there for me.
Totally agree that is my least favorite mag. Used to like Helen Kelly's column tho, but I flag the quilts that I like to go back to and have used the patterns quite often in other ones. Now only get American Patchwork and Quilting and a friend just got me a half price Fons and Porter which is only ok. Used to love to read Mark Lipinski in Quilter's Home but he moved on.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:59 AM

I would photocopy the project you are saving the magazine for and then donate the magazine to your local guild. You are probably not going to do every project in the magazine. Also contact a friend and see what magazines she gets, and maybe you can alternate subscriptions and share!
Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM

Another place you could take your old quilting magazines to is a nursing or extended care home. They may no longer be able to quilt, but they love to look, look, look and remember. That helps fill up the time for these people and helps keep their minds busy. Some of them may still be able to hand quilt. I know of one lady (103 years old) in nursing home who makes dolls by hand and sells them. She does not have time for "pity parties".
Old 01-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

I have 5 years worth of quilt magazines and look forward to each one's arriveal. I think I only made a few quilts from the magaine patterns, but I do love looking at the new ideas and quilting designs, etc. When I want to start a new project but unsure of what, I just leaf through the old magazines for inspiration. Some people love going to movies, going out to dinner, etc. My pleasure is my quilt magazines. I give away all other magazine such as Good Housekeeping, etc. after reading them. But hang on to the quilt ones.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
I LOVE quilting magazines, too, and what I did was go through & cut out the patterns & articles I knew I wanted to keep and put them into a sheet protector & then a 3-ring binder. Tossed the rest, which was hard for me but felt great after.

I knew there were a lot of quilts in there that I would never want to attempt to make. Saved a LOT of space. In fact, I just pulled out a really cute miniature quilt pattern last week from my binder. Worked great!

Trina
I do the same thing. Saves a lot of space.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 PM

I don't subscribe to any quilt magazines but do pick them up occasionally on the newsstand. I'm getting better at not. I have so many patterns and future projects as it is I don't need more....but when I do buy one I keep it for a while, then look through it again. If there is a pattern I absolutely must have I pull it out and put it in a binder (in a page protector). If there's nothing I don't have I send them on to my mom. She enjoys them.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MerryQuilter
Used to love to read Mark Lipinski in Quilter's Home but he moved on.
So, it's not just me.....that magazine just isn't the same without him is it??

I still pick it up once in a while but not monthly like I use to. I did click the "like" button on them Facebook though ;) lol
Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 PM

i go thru my quilt magazines and take the ones i don't want up to the used book store where they will give me credit so i can buy other used ones from them that i don't have and do want to make stuff from! yes, i am addicted. lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north
This can be a problem. In my quilt guild, the members bring magazines that they have read and put them on a sharing table. Anyone that wants to get one or more pick them up and bring them back when they're done. Every month there are things to look at and take home. When I moved from that area, I contributed several items. It's a great way to pass around things that another can use. I have a couple that I've kept.... I want to make a quilt from them. The others have all been recycled again.
My quilt guild has a couple of baskets of magazines and we sell them for twenty five cents. Then when we get done with them we bring them back and sell them again. The money goes in the guild treasury.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
I had to do something with over 20 linear feet of quilting magazines, so I sorted all by magazine name with a MISC pile of special issues and oddball mags. Then I sat down next to my printer/fax/scanner/copier and made a copy of only those patterns and templates (and articles) I really liked ... sorting them into STARS, CHRISTMAS, HALLOWEEN, APPLIQUE, BASKETS, FOUNDATION ... you get the idea. This left the magazines intact; I was able to sell many of the older magazines by lot/bundles (one year of a single magazine's subscription was one lot/bundle). The rest I gave to a local residential organization who is teaching umarried mothers to become self-sufficient; the organzation's residents make crafts and quilts of all kinds and sells them locally, often on consignment, and at local festivals and fairs to raise money for the organization (who splits the proceeds with the maker/resident). I also gave several bundles to my guild's freebie table and to the local library.

Regarding copyright law, I made one copy of what I wanted to keep for myself; I do not share these patterns and do not make additional copies. Copyright law permits this, and courts uphold that the duplication of templates is quite permissible.
That's what I do. I scan whatever I want to keep then share with friends the magazines. It is a win-win situation. I can back up everything on a flash drive so I don't lose what I have done.

It is the books I had bought earlier that are hard to part with.

ali