Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash Organizing Question >
  • Stash Organizing Question

• Stash Organizing Question

Old 02-06-2011, 04:18 PM

I've been sorting mine out too...really must be catching...but feeling slightly smug...after being in my room nearly all weekend I now have wonderful boxes of olour organised fabric...what I really wished I had done though is labelled each from where it was bought...am really going to try that for 2011 so am now armed with a box of small stickers.I have spent the weekend thinking....which shop did I get that from !
    Old 02-06-2011, 04:52 PM

AH sew instead color coordinated is good enough, yes?

Originally Posted by Little RoO
    I've been sorting mine out too...really must be catching...but feeling slightly smug...after being in my room nearly all weekend I now have wonderful boxes of olour organised fabric...what I really wished I had done though is labelled each from where it was bought...am really going to try that for 2011 so am now armed with a box of small stickers.I have spent the weekend thinking....which shop did I get that from !
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:44 AM

I sort by color for the main part, but do have Childrens themed prints, western prints, batiks, Christmas separated out. I am in the process of trying to find the space to sort fat quarters into the main stacks which means I have to move everything around.
    Old 05-03-2011, 05:49 AM
    Power Poster

I kinda sorta sort by color and by size and type -

For example: Smallish blues ( 2 yards or less) are together

I Spy are sort of together - but grouped within the totes (sometimes - frogs are grouped, sports are grouped, etc)

Black and whites are together

Batiks - of which I have very few - are together

The "unwashed" are in a separate stack of totes

Next time I have to unfold a piece, I am going to try to remember to measure it and attach a tag to the fabric telling me the dimensions so I will know what they are the next time - -

The "Large/Long Washed" are stacked on a bed.

And then there are the dreaded scraps and UFOs.
    Old 07-01-2011, 05:57 PM

Click "search" from the categories at the top of this page. Type "Fabric Stash, Pictures". You will get all kinds of ideas from members who have posted .
    Old 07-03-2011, 08:12 PM

I don't have a stash, so I don't need to organize. I just get everything I need for a project at one time and keep it together. . . then if I don't get to it right away, I put it in a drawer in the spare bedroom. Then, if I see fabric I really love, or is on sale, I just buy it for later, and I put it on the shelf in the closet. . . . then when I inherit a bunch of fabric, I can put it in plastic bins under the bed . . . then when Wal-Mart has batting at half-price, of course, I stock up, and put it in the closet where my husband's fishing gear is - was (he won't mind if I move that junk to the garage, right?). . . then . . . Oh! *groan* I have a stash! Can anyone help me organize this mess?
    Old 07-04-2011, 02:36 AM

My sorting is a little odd, or at least compared to what some people do. All of my fabrics go in a big rubbermaid tub because I don't have a sewing room :( But first they all go into piles, florals, solids, holiday, large prints and small prints. Then they all get organized by color after that. And any piece that's smaller than a piece of paper goes in my scrap box. Anything that's part of a project gets put in a gift bag which is kept on my bookshelf so that I can just grab the bag and don't have to worry about accidentally using that material. Good luck!