Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What kinds of quilts have you made for charity? >

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

What kinds of quilts have you made for charity?

Old 01-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Please make the kind of quilts you love, ie. geared to teens. I belong to a quilting group & a guild. They both make 120+ quilts a year for donation. In five years I've never seen a quilt geared to teens & very few masculine. Always baby & florals. So there is a need for the ones you make. I just love the ones you posted. I could never attempt to make one, yours are so one of a kind.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Our group makes and gives comfort quilts (40x60 inches) to the adult oncology department at our local hospital. Last year's total was 137. I make a lot each year and use mostly easy patterns from books and magazines. It's my favorite pastime.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM

Thanks Gals- I think you got me finally motivated. I contacted Downey Quilts for Kids and they will be sending a kit in a couple of weeks!! Great bunch you all are.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:33 PM

We have a respite and palliative care hospital nearby and so I make quilts for the wards.
I did a one - of session where a friend and I did 250 quilts for children. It was her idea, not mine and it was her way to make me be confident in quilting my own stuff. So that meant it achieved two goals. I was Happy to help her. Another time, our guild gave us each enough material to make a quilt each for the hospital. I did not have to give anything except my time. Unless we get cheap material, the cost is prohibitive.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM

I have to agree with StitchinJoy. Quilts for teen boys are hard to come by. Your talents toward the teen scene would be greatly appreciated. It took almost loosing a very special nephew to make me realize how little is done for the teenage boys. He knows that I donate quilts to the local children's hospital (which is where he ended up). While visiting him one day, he asked me why they don't have quilts to give to 18 year old boys??? There are plenty of flowery, girly donations. Since then, I have made several denim rag quilts that are big enough for a boy his size and given them to the hospital....
Old 01-26-2011, 05:00 PM

I have made them for a pregnancy center, in fact that is how I started quilting. Also made some for kids in Chile who have nothing to sleep on at night except what they can find. Normally they sleep on dirt. Also use to crochet blankets for Assisted Living Facilities. I loved taking those blankets in to them. Those people were so happy to see them. They loved the bright colors. Fun!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM

I make memory quilts for dying patients at Rainbows baby and childrens hospital and University Hospital in Cleveland. The are just 40x40. some places have to be light solid colors. That way the patient can write message on them to their family.or if a child they draw pictures , hand prints or what ever the patients wants on it. Than when they pass the quilt is given to the family.
i have also make full size quilts foir the local hospital resale shop to raffle off . They have a open house every summer. This will be the 4th quilt I've donated there.
its very rewarding
Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

I make quilts for wounded veterans, abused women's shelter, baby quilts for the local hospital which serves poor Mexican Nationals, homeless shelters. Our quilting group is doing one for breast cancer--a raffle with the proceeds for cancer. Our Red Hat Group is going to sponser a family next Christmas with quilts to be included. We do block, strips, cheater, etc.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 PM
QM
Power Poster

I make 20+ charity quilts a year, as well as fundraising quilts. I pretty much make anything up to twin size, of almost any pattern. I work at finding fabrics that are appropriate for boys, as most fabrics are not, or are "commercial", that is in promotion of a specific team or other commercial enterprize. In my area, quilts are needed for people from babies to the elderly. Some designs, such as my starburst, will work for nearly anyone.

A few years back, as "emergency" foster parent came to me. She said that some of the kids she gets from CPS in the middle of the night following raids on crack houses, have absolutely nothing, as no toy or even clothes they have can be safely kept. She said the quilts I'd given that were supplied to the kids were especially precious to them. Children in these and other extreme situations need to know that somone is aware and cares that they are alive. My DH and I feel this is an important thing for us to do.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:29 PM

i have done about 10 quiltd for downey quilts 4 kids , i stick to there basic patterns but give each one a little something special like quilt a special message on it or do it in a wild and cheerful fabric