Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you add green to this selection of fabrics? >

Would you add green to this selection of fabrics?

Would you add green to this selection of fabrics?

Old 02-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I would definitely include those greens.
The fabric that scares me is the vibrant pink, but that's just me- those colours all get along very nicely together and contrast is what makes a project, imho.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:26 PM

I like the colors as they are- don't see with pinwheels that you would need another green color. If you feel you need to add it, would only introduce it as a 1-1.5" boarder sandwiched between two wider boarders- Used as a boarder it would pull out the darker green of the leaves but I dont think I would feel it was necessary. BTY love the fabrics might have to go check out my local store.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Gorgeous with or without another green like the one there.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Thank you all so much for your opinions - you all gave some great suggestions!!! I forgot about the color dots in the selvege of the material...some of the lower end fabrics don't have those but I think Cranston does. I was checking out some Cranston fabrics at Jo Anns and they are getting mighty pricey! The ones I picked up from Walmart were $4.97 a yard, but I found several at Jo Anns for $9.99 a yard. Ouch! I can buy Moda yardage for that price! I do love very much what I ended up with though.

After reading all your thoughts about green, and realizing I just wasn't going to be able to continue on this project without at least buying some green and testing it out - I ended up buying two more yards of GREEN! LOL*

I am going to use dark pink, green, green floral, and pink floral for borders, and the majority of the pink floral will be backing.

Here's how my pinwheels are turning out!!! That pink one was the first one I ran through my machine so the points are a little off, but baby Emma won't mind so it's staying in the quilt.

Thank you so much for all of your help!!! When it's finished I'll post it in the pictures! ;)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160949.jpe   attachment-160950.jpe   attachment-160951.jpe  
Old 02-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Love the colors you chose.
Can't wait to see the finished product.

That is why JoAnn's can give you 40 or 50% off on their fabrics, brcause they charge twice the price to begin with.

I was in WM today and the one that still sell fabric had a Bigger selection then they use to have, and I found some pretty colors for gr daus quilts. Like the painted their rooms
one orange and one pink. ;)
Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by joyceinoh
That is why JoAnn's can give you 40 or 50% off on their fabrics, brcause they charge twice the price to begin with.
I know it! ;) Lol* But boy does it stink when they have that $1 off a yard sale because you can't use your coupon and you're still paying $8.99 a yard. *sticks tongue out at high prices* Lol* On the upside I got batting for $6.99 a yard today so that made me happy. Lol*
Old 02-12-2011, 02:47 PM

Sometimes you need to add a fabric that's not exactly matchy-matchy to make all the other colors pop. From my monitor what you have looks pretty good to me. I think adding the lime will bring more life to the quilt. I'm just finishing a multi-pink, cream and multi-limey green for my grand daughter and while it's pretty it is kind of bland.

Rose
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM

You already have a nice combination there. I wouldn't add anything unless you need another color to make the pattern work. I think that is going to be a very pretty quilt.
Sue
Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Love your choice of colors. Your quilt is going to be adorable. Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
Thank you all so much for your opinions - you all gave some great suggestions!!! I forgot about the color dots in the selvege of the material...some of the lower end fabrics don't have those but I think Cranston does. I was checking out some Cranston fabrics at Jo Anns and they are getting mighty pricey! The ones I picked up from Walmart were $4.97 a yard, but I found several at Jo Anns for $9.99 a yard. Ouch! I can buy Moda yardage for that price! I do love very much what I ended up with though.

After reading all your thoughts about green, and realizing I just wasn't going to be able to continue on this project without at least buying some green and testing it out - I ended up buying two more yards of GREEN! LOL*

I am going to use dark pink, green, green floral, and pink floral for borders, and the majority of the pink floral will be backing.

Here's how my pinwheels are turning out!!! That pink one was the first one I ran through my machine so the points are a little off, but baby Emma won't mind so it's staying in the quilt.

Thank you so much for all of your help!!! When it's finished I'll post it in the pictures! ;)
Love the colors you added-definitely have to go check out my local store now that you posted the larger print with the green back ground. Have to make a baby quilt myself with that color green-it's for a girl but mom doesn't want a lot of pink. That would fit the bill.