Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Inexpensive Sewing Table >

Inexpensive Sewing Table

Inexpensive Sewing Table

Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Talking to myself and calling myself a dumba** for not having a flat surface to sew on. I was telling myself " I have been sewing all these years and fighting with the quilts and there was no need when I could get off my butt and get what I want ! I have a nice table to work with, it'll take a little planning since I want a lever on it so I can raise it if I need the arm.
You just reinforced my thoughts. Thanks
Syl

He He He......yeah... I just ordered a sewing machine lift for my table from Rockler's .......... Now, I can have the flat surface or the free arm or the embroidery machine, the right tools for the right job.
It's about time. I just can't believe I waited so long to do this.
Syl
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM

I think it's genius!
Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 AM

I love your beautiful woodworking. Nice work!

Recently I've learned a little more about ergonomics for comfort while sewing. It is worth watching Marguerita McManus' video on youtube regarding sewing table height to save your back & shoulders from tension & stiffness. Ergonomics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbmQ2riM7Yo

Tables should really be adapted for the end user and their particular height, for those who are sewing as long as quilters do. You can buy folding tables with adjustable legs to surround your main sewing table, which can then adapt to your needs as well.

If you don't have a woodworker in the family, you might try one from Leah Day, of DayStyle designs, who sells a portable folding table with adjustable drop down shelf to make your machine flush with the table.
http://www.daystyledesigns.com/sewingtable.htm

Even if you can build this great wood table, I have a couple of suggestions for those who have multiple machines they may want to use in their table. Look at the video in the DayStyle Designs link above where she shows how her adjustable drop-down shelf works. In this way you can have the beauty of wood with the adaptability to any machine you own now or later.

Also, Rockler sells a nice reinforcement plate for this style of table design for those who may want to make theirs with removable legs (for moving). I had end tables that were rock solid with this style of reinforcement plate.

Drop down shelf with adjustment screw
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180292[/ATTACH]

This one is really overkill, but similar for adjustability
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180294[/ATTACH]

Rockler #24279 Leg reinforcements $5/set of 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180295[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180286.png   attachment-180288.png   attachment-180289.jpe