Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty? >

Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty?

Are you a Subtle Sally or a Bold Betty?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:06 AM

I am all over the color spectrum. However during the long dreary days of winter in MN I find myself focused on the bright colors.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM

What I like isn't necessarily what others would like, which I sometimes have a hard time getting into my head when I make quilts for others (LOL). I was showing my daughter a quilt that I was going to do double sided, and come to find out during her visit, she would never have showed the second side (which was a Dresden Plate) but loved the other side - with a request to change one color in the sashing. I didn't know she didn't care for that color until then and was glad she had a choice. Made me stop and think that before I make a quilt for someone else in the family - I need to be more aware of their color choices (not mine). Anolther good example was I had made a quilt for my brother and his wife and it wasn't until several months later that I found out that I just "lucked" into the right colors for them!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Interesting, I just ran through my stash in my mind, and my stash is bold, jewel, dark, solid colors. No prints. The only print I have is a pink/green print that I have for sashing a quilt that is made of solid pink flowers and solid green leaves appliqued. (I have one other wip that I inherited with some cut-out flowers that are prints, but I don't think that really counts). My favorite thing, though, is large expanses of solid colors with beautiful quilting patterns.

My mother, on the other hand, loved bright, loud, awful color combinations all together in quilts, clothes, afghans. We all used to lovingly tease her about it. She gave me an afghan that I keep in my car. I told her that if my car ever broke down beside the road, I could just spread the afghan across the hood and flag down low-flying airplanes. :)
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

Usually, I'm a Rich Rita, which implies deeper values - neither subtle nor bold. On occasion, I'm Whacky Wanda which means, anything goes.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:01 PM

I tend towards contrast.... always find myself short of lights To each his own..... that's what makes the world go round