Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 AM
Banned

I equally appreciate the talent it takes to either hand or machine quilt. I realize everyone has different preferences, and since I was out of the 'quilt world' for so long, I am surprised that the very dense quilting created by machine quilting has become the 'norm'.

Personally, I've always thought of a quilt as a warm, comfy, comforting creation, but the dense quilting looks & feels 'hard' & cold to me, & meant for a museum or the 'art' world, & not for comforting someone.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
not me- i never do feathers!
i have noticed some people do them on every quilt-- but not everyone does- i am one long-armer that does not do feathers- i'm fairly sure i'm not the only one.
i agree with fersid too. i just thought i was the only one who felt that way. i don't do feathers either - i don't know how is why. i only do meandering and loops cause that's all i know how to do. i do quilting for the public too and they all seem happy with my work. also my charges are very reasonable. i like to do quilts for people that inherited the top from their great grandmother or somebody and they don't know how to sew. i do the best i can but i'm also striving to get better but i'm afraid to practice something different on a customer's quilt
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Originally Posted by suebee
If one likes dense quilting, whether or not its a show quilt, then whats the big deal? If you dont like it, then dont do it or have it done. Pretty simple. Thats what makes us all unique. How boring would it be if all quilts were handquilted or all quilts were SID or all quilts had minimal quilting? By the way...feathers are a blast to do, oh..did I mention I love them? Do what you like or what makes you happy, but bashing others because you dont like it. well thats just silly. Have fun and Happy Quilting to all.
I don't think anyone is bashing anyone, just people having a discussion on what they like. No need to take it personally.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Originally Posted by Shadow
I agree..too much of a good thing. There was a quilt pic posted the other day and all I could was the quilting! Even on a close-up, I couldn't make out the quilt pattern. I wonder if any of these quilts drape as I think they should
When a long armer post pictures of quilts she has done 99% of the time the pictures are taken to show off the quilting.....that's her craft that's what she is highlighting.....
I happen to to love feathers and I love heavily quilted and don't have a problem with them being any less soft. I haven to agree with some people that there seems to be some bashing.....such as calling out a bargello recently posted with feathers....well I think we all know what quilt that is ....and I love it.....I think there are plenty of la's that everyone can be happy.....if you don't like someones style don't use her....I choose to appreciate the craft of quilting as art and find beauty in every quilt.....just like a painter is a artist they also have a wide range of styles.
You combined 2 different posts. I said I saw a bargello recently, I did not say it was on here or that it had feathers, just that it was quilted to heavily; and someone else said they saw a quilt recently on here. You assumed and announced that it was on here and you even knew what quilt it was. That is how people get hurt, when someone assumes they know something that they don't.
And for the record, the quilt belongs to the piecer (who is the one paying for the work) and the quilting should enhance her work, not the quilters. The quilter shows her talent by having the ability to have her work compliment the quilt.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Can we keep the discussion to why/ when/how we do and don't like feathers as I believe that was the original question? It's a bit fatuous to have pages and pages of ppl saying 'I love feathers' 'I hate feathers'. And keep it general and not pointed at anyone in particular. Just sayin'... :-D
Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 AM

i like feathers and DH likes heavy quilting he sayes it looks cheap if there is to much space between the quilting lines. so anything i do for us will be densly quilted but everything i do for someone else is whatever they whant other than pantos i dont do those.
Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by JoanneS
I love feathers, and I USED to do them when I hand quilted. You bet I would do them by machine if I had the confidence to try and they were right for the quilt. They're not right for the Asian one I'm quilting right now, but they'll be right for one I'll do in the future, and I will probably get my courage up and try FMQing feathers. It's interesting to me how so many have jumped on this and said they don't like feathers! I wonder how many will jump in and say they like feathers now that a couple of us have said we like them - LOL.
That will be interesting for sure. Your right, I am amazed at how many jumped on the "Anti-Feather bandwagon. If you are PRO-feathers, lets us hear from you as well. :)
Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 AM

I agree --DITTO-- to all of page one. I never understood where the comcept of the feather came from in quilting.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM

I agree. My friend calls allover quilting the "matress pad" look.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Can we keep the discussion to why/ when/how we do and don't like feathers as I believe that was the original question? It's a bit fatuous to have pages and pages of ppl saying 'I love feathers' 'I hate feathers'. And keep it general and not pointed at anyone in particular. Just sayin'... :-D
;) :thumbup: ;) :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 AM

Tina I apologize .....I let myself get sucked into these debates.....I did not assume or announce anything about you directly or that wasn't already posted I apologize if you felt I was attacking you
My only comment on this now is I am a happy feather lover.