Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Batik Block Swap-Sign ups close June 30, 2010 >

Batik Block Swap-Sign ups close June 30, 2010

Batik Block Swap-Sign ups close June 30, 2010

Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 AM

Would anyone be interested in dressed up dresses??? See the thread below for examples.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19799-1.htm Pattern done in EQ on page 4

If you know of any free dress patterns out there please let me know. I found a few but didn't fall in love with any of the free ones and I don't want anyone to have to purchase a pattern to partipate in the swap.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM

So here's a batik block I did today - perhaps THEE easiest pattern ever! What I want to know, is it too busy with all the different prints? BE HONEST, PLEASE.

Thanx for your input.
P.S. If I end up doing this block for the swap, they will be in all different colorways--I have loads of batik scraps!

pinks are not that dark
[ATTACH=CONFIG]55395[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-55395.jpe  
Old 04-12-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
What I want to know, is it too busy with all the different prints? BE HONEST, PLEASE.
I like it. It's very bright and pretty.

Now, can someone answer a question for me. This is my first swap and I want to make sure my blocks are right. I plan on making the Balkan Puzzle block from Quilter's Cache. The instructions say that the pattern makes a 12" block. Is that 12" finished or 12" unfinished? I made one block and it ended up 12". But I think we are supposed to have a 12-1/2" block to send for the swap. Is this right? Any advice would be appreciated as I want to make my blocks correct.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:56 PM

quilting nonie, that block is beautiful

Judy, Yes, the blocks should be 12.5" when you send them in. Check your see allowance and try a scant 1/4", and have you pressed it? Sometimes they grow a little.
Originally Posted by JudyG
What I want to know, is it too busy with all the different prints? BE HONEST, PLEASE.
I like it. It's very bright and pretty.

Now, can someone answer a question for me. This is my first swap and I want to make sure my blocks are right. I plan on making the Balkan Puzzle block from Quilter's Cache. The instructions say that the pattern makes a 12" block. Is that 12" finished or 12" unfinished? I made one block and it ended up 12". But I think we are supposed to have a 12-1/2" block to send for the swap. Is this right? Any advice would be appreciated as I want to make my blocks correct.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:44 AM

So here's a batik block I did today - perhaps THEE easiest pattern ever! What I want to know, is it too busy with all the different prints? BE HONEST, PLEASE.

Thanx for your input.
P.S. If I end up doing this block for the swap, they will be in all different colorways--I have loads of batik scraps!
Your block is lovely, Quiltingnonie. I hope one of yours comes in my envelope!
Old 04-13-2010, 04:03 PM

OK. Think I'm gonna go to plan B. First block I did was 'Woven Ribbons' and I thought it was kinda blah. Today I made a 'London Roads' block using exactly the same fabrics, and I like it much better. What do you think?

Woven Ribbons block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57242[/ATTACH]

London Roads block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57353[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-57242.jpe   attachment-57353.jpe  
Old 04-13-2010, 04:46 PM

I like them both.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:56 PM

BTW Batik Lovers, I received a package of batiks today. I posted pix in Pictures entitled 'Batik Bonanza'. Check it out if you want a great buy on batiks.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Thanx for your input.
i like it. There is symmetry and I think that makes it interesting without being too busy. I think you did a really good job. Do you like it? If you like it, everyone else probably will too. :-)
Old 04-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

OK. Think I'm gonna go to plan B. First block I did was 'Woven Ribbons' and I thought it was kinda blah. Today I made a 'London Roads' block using exactly the same fabrics, and I like it much better. What do you think?
I really like them both. The way you have placed the colors make it a beautiful block. I could not choose between the two. They are both lovely. I may be asking you to help me place my colors. :-) This is my first time using batiks. I spent $95 on the batiks for this swap and it is going to be a big challenge for me. I'm really scared, but so far, everything I have done here has scared me but has helped me to grow and try new things. I washed my batiks last night and the more I look at them the more I like them. They were so easy to iron too.