Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-19-2010, 05:46 PM

Way to go Patrice! My sentiments exactly. I spent 30 years being a fanatic, but retired. Now I just move it and sew when I want. Haven't heard from you in a long time. How are you? I just finished a baby quilt today-now will get up tomorrow and quilt it. It is one of the ones for Downey Softner. If you haven't get on their web site and they will send you a very simple quilt to make for the babies in the hospital. They send you all of it but the batting and it is even cut out. Even the label. The fabric was lovely and so cute. Everybody can get one. They ask if you can, send one back with your stash. It was very quick and easy. Call me.

Peg-TX
Innova 18" :thumbup:
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM

There is always hope for you working girls when the day comes that you can retire. I worked 3 careers all at one time & couldn't think of touching a sewing mach. I was lucky to touch the washer & drier. I had to reintroduce myself tothe stove.
I learned to quilt after running into a grp. of quilters in our RV park. Now my work is piling up since it's so hard to part with it.
Pat
Old 04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

I am a slacker I retired in my 30's and all I do is what I want when I want. I was missing too much of the good things in life like watching my kids grow up and being a part of their life so I quit my job 11 years ago and haven't looked back since.

But I also paint high end show cars so I have a pretty big load right now. Needless to say I dont have much Slacker time right now, but if I dont want to go out to the garage I dont have to.

Oh and I dont care what they say even being retired there is never enough time in the day to get things done.

Billy
Old 04-19-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am a slacker I retired in my 30's and all I do is what I want when I want.

But I also paint high end show cars so I have a pretty big load right now. Needless to say I dont have much Slacker time right now, but if I dont want to go out to the garage I dont have to.

Oh and I dont care what they say even being retired there is never enough time in the day to get things done.

Billy
Billy, you are so right. Being retired doesn't mean you sit around & twiddle your thumbs. You still have to cook, do laundry, buy groceries. Even if you're in an RV, you still have to do all of those things which cut down on quilting time. Real life goes right along with you. LOL
Pat
Old 04-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pat G
Billy, you are so right. Being retired doesn't mean you sit around & twiddle your thumbs. You still have to cook, do laundry, buy groceries. Even if you're in an RV, you still have to do all of those things which cut down on quilting time. Real life goes right along with you. LOL
Pat
Honestly I do not know how I did everything I am doing now and was working 65 to 80 hours a week. I admit that I had a lawn service to take care of the landscaping and cutting of the grass and my wife had our nanny but still I did a lot around the home and worked on my hot rods. We always were busy and havent really slowed down any. Or maybe we have and I just dont know it yet LOL!!!

But I would not change the first thing I was able to see my kids grow up and was able to spend time with them and their school activities.

Billy
Old 04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I am lucky enough to only work part time, four days a week. But I find that having to schedule my free time makes me more productive. I didn't seem to get as much done when I wasn't working, I think it is cause I didn't value my free time as much. But I have not been away from a job of some sort for more than a couple of months, and those were for medical issues. I used to work three part time jobs for a total of about 65 hours a week and made much better use of my time. I think the less I have to do, the less I want to do.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:29 PM

I work full-time and then some and commute an hour each way in addition to being on-call 24x7. Quilting is my therapy, my escape, and I try to find a little bit of time nearly every day to devote to it. I don't have time to complete projects for charity yet, but that can wait until I retire. And I'm not in a bit hurry to finish projects, but rather enjoy the process however long it takes. And I try to learn as much as I can. I love it. And I enjoy learning all the tips and tricks that everyone here so willingly shares. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:10 PM

i went from full time work to partime work from home , my hubby works 2nd shift 11- 9 pm so that is my time frame to clean house, shop, cook dinner and get in some quilting , and now with summer coming on i get to add work in the yard time in there somewhere!!! seems like i got more done when i worked !!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by JudyM
Maybe don't say yes to everyone when they ask you to volunteer, as that can become a full time job in itself. You need to save some time for yourself, as you worked hard for these years.
I hear you!! It has been a real task to start "unloading" of all the extras I do since I've retired (12 years). The guilt really bears down on my soul, but volunteering and tutoring have just about taken over my life. I'm beginning to be able to say no a lot easier, but it's still tough. I just have to remember that I'll get more sewing done if I drop some of these other projects. Of course, since I am not tutoring anymore, my "stash kitty" is no longer. I have really begun to shop in my stash -- so I suppose that's a good thing.

I am really enjoying this thread. I'm happy to see that I'm not the only retiree with dust bunnies. When I was working, I looked forward to the time when my house would be neat and clean with everything in place. Ha! And yes, I do the "FlyLady" thing, but not as well as it should be done. But her system gets me back on track when things begin to get out of hand. And yes, I do shine my sinks and tie my shoes.

:lol:
Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

I have worked 10 to 12 hour days most of my life, until I became disabled last year. would gladly work if I could. Penny....PS I did all my craft projects on week ends, I am just learning to quilt.