Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A Wedding Dress quilt? >

A Wedding Dress quilt?

A Wedding Dress quilt?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
My youngest DD just asked me to make her wedding dress into a quilt!
I've never heard of such a thing, but I've been googling and saw some pictures.
When did this start?
She's in her late 30's and done having kids (3 boys) so she figures no one will ever want to wear her dress in the future.
I guess it's a good idea but it'll break my heart.
We had so much fun and hunted high and low to find that dress, and she was gorgeous in it.
What do you think?
It'll be a VERY expensive quilt, if I do it.
Has anyone here ever made one?
YES! I've made several and they are fabulous!
The first one I made, however, caused me much angst and it took me weeks before I could bring myself to cut into that beautiful dress. But it came out wonderful and the family treasures it.
The first thing I do is toss it into the washer on delicate and into the dryer...hang it up and start designing. I try to incorporate as much of the trim, lace, brocade, beading etc. into the design of the quilt. Any bows and/or satin flowers I save aside and hand sew to brooch findings to pin onto the pillow cover that I make to store/protect the quilt. They can also be pinned to the center of the quilt for additional decoration.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47
Originally Posted by mic-pa
I don't know anyone who did this either and I have been quilting and owned a quilt shop for years. But I think it is a fantastic idea. Either that or make a christening gown for your first grand child. What is the point of it sitting in a box for years and years. Marge
Making a christening gown for grandkids would be a great idea!!
But all my grandkids are already here (at least that's what my DDs tell me....).
Too bad. Now that's an idea I like.
According to my late mother, her mother (my grandmother) took her own wedding dress apart and made a christening gown from it. All eleven of her children wore it when each was christened. Unfortunately, none of us...even my mom...never saw the dress. I have a wedding picture of my late grandparents, and for that time (early 1900's), Grandma's dress was beautiful! I did make my own wedding dress of white velvet...simple pattern because of the fabric...and it is in stored away right now, but to make a quilt from it is a novel idea...would have to be simple, but I'm not sure how I would embelish it...
Since your wedding gown is white velvet, why not make a totally white velvet crazy patch quilt with all the usual places embelished in different stitches, laces, beads, etc. I think that would be most beautiful and unusual. Jinnie
Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 PM

I didn't have a wedding gown; but, my DD did and I'm thinking about trying to convince her to take it out of the preservative box and letting me make a quilt for her and possibly some of the other suggestions from the board. She now has two sons and there will not be any more children and this might make a nice 20th anniversary gift to them. I am also thinking of making a crazy patch quilt out of my Matron of Honor gown from my DS (now departed) wedding, which is Royal Blue Velvet and Satin that I made because I was 8 months pregnant with DD and have saved it for all these 38 yrs. for a special project and I think this would be just the right project.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 AM

Since you can't make yourself cut into the dress, tell your daughter that SHE will have to take the dress apart at the seams and bring it to you in pieces. That way YOU aren't cutting her dress up.
Carol B
Old 04-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ctack2
Since you can't make yourself cut into the dress, tell your daughter that SHE will have to take the dress apart at the seams and bring it to you in pieces. That way YOU aren't cutting her dress up.
Carol B
Ohhh I like the way you think...:)
That would take the "first cut heebie jeebies" off it for me.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay
I had an idea...but it might be too gruesome to share.

When a dear friend passed away, her wishes were to have an extremely simple casket. When it arrived, her children were in some shock at its stark simplicity. They asked for my help. We discussed it and I lined her casket with antique satin and made a quilt out of the same satin, adding wedding lace at the very top for viewing. I also made a pillow for her head. This helped the children and it turned out beautifully. She looked like a bride. Before she was buried, the youngest child took it as his heirloom. And my friend was then wrapped in another cloth for burial.

I never thought of using her wedding dress for the material.

It was not difficult for me to do this (even tho it's a bit unusual) because I knew she was a very special person. Since we did not have any sisters of our own, we adopted each other as our sister. Did we ever have fun until cancer took her life.

Any feedback
Your story isn't gruesome at all, to my way of thinking. What a beautiful tribute to your friend!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sewze
I don't know anyone who did this either and I have been quilting and owned a quilt shop for years. But I think it is a fantastic idea. Either that or make a christening gown for your first grand child. What is the point of it sitting in a box for years and years. Marge
But all my grandkids are already here (at least that's what my DDs tell me....).
According to my late mother, her mother (my grandmother) took her own wedding dress apart and made a christening gown from it. All eleven of her children wore it when each was christened. Unfortunately, none of us...even my mom...never saw the dress. I have a wedding picture of my late grandparents, and for that time (early 1900's), Grandma's dress was beautiful! I did make my own wedding dress of white velvet...simple pattern because of the fabric...and it is in stored away right now, but to make a quilt from it is a novel idea...would have to be simple, but I'm not sure how I would embelish it...
Since your wedding gown is white velvet, why not make a totally white velvet crazy patch quilt with all the usual places embelished in different stitches, laces, beads, etc. I think that would be most beautiful and unusual. Jinnie
Hmmm...never thought of crazy patches! Thanks for the idea, Jinnie! I do have plenty of laces, buttons, etc., from christening gowns I have made which would lend themselves to such an endeavor...hmmm...all kinds of cogs spinning now...!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sewze
Hmmm...never thought of crazy patches! Thanks for the idea, Jinnie! I do have plenty of laces, buttons, etc., from christening gowns I have made which would lend themselves to such an endeavor...hmmm...all kinds of cogs spinning now...!
You're welcome. I think this board is such a wonderful resource. It's just great how we can take an idea, bounce it off of each other, run with it and come up with some awesome ideas for more than one of us. :thumbup:
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 AM

Since I started this thread a few days ago, I've been reading everyone's ideas, suggestions, etc. I really am surprised by how many of you have recycled your wedding dresses! I guess I'm too sentimental, and hanging on to the memories of finding, fitting, watching her walk down the aisle in it, etc.
I've spoken to my youngest daughter again yesterday about doing this and she still says it's what she wants me to do. So, taking into account my knowledge of how she thinks and feels and knowing she isn't a spur of the moment decision maker, and also the great stories here, I said OK. Although it will probably be this fall before I can start on it.
I want to thank all of you for teaching me that there is life (for a wedding dress) after the wedding. :)
When I start to take it apart, I'll try to remember to take photos and post them here.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:49 AM

What a GREAT Mom you are! Sometimes it isn't easy to change our mind about something we feel strongly about.Have fun and go for it.