Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Project at a time? or more? >

One Project at a time? or more?

One Project at a time? or more?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:32 PM

I will only allow myself to have 2 quilts in progress at any one time - if I had more going, I am afraid I wouldn't get them finished!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 PM

I have at least two things going on at once. I only have a 2 1/2 by 4 table to cut and sew on so I have to be very organized, I have to keep it tidy because it's in our bedroom and I feel bad if it's a mess when DH comes in for a nap or going to bed for the night. I would love to be able to leave things out so I could just pick up where if left off the day before. Well, maybe one day. It's on my wish list along with so many quilts dancing in my head.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 PM

I get bored with just one project! Then, too, when I see a pattern I want to try most often I will put aside the current project and start the 'new' one - just to see what it will look like! I have quilts started for myself, charity quilts (just got my kit from Downy on Monday - finished the kit quilt top and sewed a second one; both need to be quilted), and have taken on a project for my neighbor. UFOs abound in my house!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by pieces
I can only work on one project at a time. Is this the norm?
Do most quilters finish a project before starting another?
Do most quilters have several projects going on at once?
Curious to hear feedback.
If you can only work on one project at a time, then only work on one project at a time.

It doesn't matter what the "norm" is, if there even is a
"norm." It only matters what works for you.
I absolutly agree with Scissor Queen... your norm is what ever you want it to be...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:02 PM

More...sometimes if I get too overloaded, I do stop starting any more and finish most of what I have, or at least get it to a more manageable level.

Right now I: (1) am basting one quilt before handquilting it, 2)have 8 large blocks ready to "quilt as you go" as soon as I can find time to read how to do it, 3) working on a quilt-along with other cyber-quilters (making 2 quilts instead of one), 4) getting ready to cut fabric for a Mystery Quilt starting in September, 5) trying to finish a top for my GS, 6) slowly compiling a notebook full of ideas and patterns.....

And I have several Quilts In Waiting that I haven't even started yet, along with fabric that I have to match to patterns.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by pieces
I can only work on one project at a time. Is this the norm?
Do most quilters finish a project before starting another?
Do most quilters have several projects going on at once?
Curious to hear feedback.
If you can only work on one project at a time, then only work on one project at a time.

It doesn't matter what the "norm" is, if there even is a
"norm." It only matters what works for you.
You are so right, my mother could and would only work on one project at the time. Myself am the exact opposite, always several projects on the go. So it seems to me that what's norm for one is not for another. :thumbup: Enjoy your quilting, whether one at the time or several at the same time.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
I have lots and lots of projects going at once, some i get bored with and need to do something else for a while, some are set aside as i need to make a gift, some i just got sick of doing, some i am doing with a friend and we cant' always work out a time that is good for both of us. I am sure i will get them all done someday and if not, that is ok too.
Agree 100%
Old 07-23-2010, 05:18 AM

My Mom and I kid about this all of the time. She has only one project at a time (but buys three or four ahead of time!). I have at least 3 to 5 going at one time. I can NOT buy material for a project, come home with it, and not atleast cut part of it out (I've got to get my fix?!?!). I also modify patterns and ideas as I am working on a project which causes me to have to make a visit to the store while she is strictly by the book. I also make clothes for my kids so those are more projects going at the same time, too.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:51 AM

When I first started quilting 5 yrs ago I vowed that I would finish a project before starting another. That last for a short time because I wanted to take as many classes as I could to learn and those would become ufo's. I've mostly finished those up. Now I find that I get to the point of needing to add borders and then I move onto another project. If I'm making something to give away I work until I finish, but when it's just for me I have a hard time finishing.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:05 AM

My log cabin "Quilt in a Day" top was finished in a day but the rest took 10years to complete. In the mean time I made 125 wall hangings 62 quilt tops- 20 completed quilted quilts and "sew" many more things to mention so I do work on lots of projects all at once-every chair in the house has something going especially before the holidays. I dream of all the UFO's magically completing theirselves only problem is all my friends leave their projects on my doorstep in the middle of the night and I can't turn an orpaned project away! Moosegirl