Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spray Basting >

Spray Basting

Spray Basting

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by shirlm
I just discovered this weekend that my Bernina doesn't like spray basted quilts. I was having trouble getting an nice looking stitch, so after playing with the settings with no improvement, I tried without it. My stitches were perfect. Kinda disappointed as I love the ease of using spray basting.
That really surprises me. I have a bernina 440 qe and it worked fine with 505. But I was doing free motion with my BSR. What type of quilting were you doing. It could be that if I look closer my stitches won't be totally even and I just didn't notice since my quilting isn't the uniform type. I would really like to know. I am doing my next quilt with hand or pin basting just to try the difference and see.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 AM

I agree, I like the spray basting. I take old sacks or newspaper and lay around the edges under the quilt before spraying. That keeps the sticky off the table or floor. I have not used the spray on a large quilt as yet, just up to lap size.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:18 PM

I saw this on a online video. I don't remember where but she had the news paper up and sprayed it on the quilt and batting and backing on the wall.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I posted a video of this. its on this thread. I plan on trying it next time.
Originally Posted by quilterfly
I've recently learned a new way to spray baste & so far it's working well for me. Pin (or tape) single sheets of newspaper all over your design wall, pin the quilt back over the newspapers, smooth backing with your hand moving easily across the fabric, spray, place batting over backing & smooth, smooth, smooth until all is straight, then lightly spray batting & place top over it & smooth, smooth, smooth. I leave it hanging on the wall for a while before I start to FMQ, it seems to leave less residue when it's a bit drier.
I'm sorry I didn't realize there is a tute on this. I'll look for it. I got the info from a quilting friend. Hope I didn't infringe on any rights. sharon
Old 01-03-2011, 01:34 PM

I was looking at this just last night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUz...eature=related

I need to give this a try. BTW, she has some very nice videos in addition to this one.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tootsie
I was looking at this just last night!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUz...eature=related

I need to give this a try. BTW, she has some very nice videos in addition to this one.
Yes, that is great if you have a wall that large with nothing on it. My walls are all decorated. I think I will stick with the one where you just move it along your cutting table. I believe that is is on Missouri Quilts.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am always amazed at how/why people choose to use a petroleum based product on a living fiber!
Well, it might have been a living fiber. Now it's dead. Deader'n a doornail. :mrgreen:

As for why... well, spray basting is easier - unbelieveably easier! If I had a good place to spray baste mine, (with good ventilation) I would hardly ever use any other method. :thumbup:
A pair of saw horses and a sheet of plywood covered with a sheet and throw open the garage door.........

...........and it's a perfect place for spraying....

works every time.....MJ
Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM

A sheet of plywood wouldn't be big enough for most quilts (48" wide). Do you just keep moving it around and spraying the top? I still wouldn't do it because of several family members' sensitivity to chemical things but I was curious.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I am always amazed at how/why people choose to use a petroleum based product on a living fiber!
Well, it might have been a living fiber. Now it's dead. Deader'n a doornail. :mrgreen:

As for why... well, spray basting is easier - unbelieveably easier! If I had a good place to spray baste mine, (with good ventilation) I would hardly ever use any other method. :thumbup:
A pair of saw horses and a sheet of plywood covered with a sheet and throw open the garage door.........

...........and it's a perfect place for spraying....

works every time.....MJ
Well, I am going to give this a try. DH Has some saw horses & plywood. Thanks,,,
Old 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
hmmm hair spray now that is an interesting idea....why didn't I think of that...; ) I will be interested in seeing the feedback. I have learned a ton from all of the folks here...I did not even know what basting was a few months ago...
I had read that the spray didn't stick to poly/ batting, and had read that Aqua Net hair spray worked for some people. Am also on a limited budget...sooo decided to try something when doing my GGS's quilt. Both sides are poly fleece and it needed a thin poly batting as he lives in Colorado. We have an over-sized couch bed and I spread the bottom out on that (it covered the whole thing as he is 13 and quite tall), sprayed a VERY LIGHT spray of Hair spray then an even lighter spray of June Taylor. Smoothed the batting an did the same to it and spread the front material on. I did it in halves as I didn't want it to dry before I was ready. It worked beautifully even tho I had to leave the quilting for a week!! And in 3 places ,just before quilting, near the outside edges I had to pull it away on the front to smoothe it out and it stuck down fine. Now I buy the cheapest spray baste I can find and keep the Aqua Net handy! There didn't seem to be very much smell either, (I usually open the windows in the living room where I do it, on a couple of plastic table cloths you buy on a roll) so once since it has gotten real cold I have only opened one window about 3 inches and done it, didn't want to kill my plants that live there in winter, LOL. No problems then either and have never had a problem with over spray either. Works fine on cotton also, but don't know about cotton batting as I can't afford that.
Hope this works for those that try it!
Take Care Imak