Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
discouraged >

discouraged

discouraged

Old 01-08-2011, 05:04 PM

welcome !! and ditto on all of the above
Old 01-08-2011, 05:13 PM

don't get upset with yourself. i haven't been quilting only for 5 months. I've been reading a lot of books and reading this board. I've riped out alot of seams. these girls are very helpful and always ask question. keep up the good work and smile
Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Welcome to the Board, practice, practice, practice and don't give up. Ask questions on the board and you will get lots of different answers-take what you think will work and go for it. Remember too, it's OK to make mistakes if you learn from them. Everything will turn out better than you expected.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Don't get discouraged - there are sites to help, plus all of us. I use this website a lot:

http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/

You can try this one too:

http://www.how-to-quilt.com/

If you're in the Chicagoland area, I'd be happy to help, we can learn more together.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

Babes, I am brand new to this board and haven't even gone to the introduction page yet. But I just had to jump in and tell you that I was in your shoes about twelve years ago. I didn't know one single thing about quilting except that I wanted to learn how. I cleared out the quilting section of my local library, got online and searched like crazy and joined a great quilting forum (again online) much like this one. Also, many churches have quilters in them so you can call around and find some lovely ladies (and maybe even a guy or two :wink: ) to learn from. There are just so many options open to you to help you learn and get encouragement from as you start your quilting journey. Good luck and happy quilting!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 PM

Go to your local library and check out some books on quilting. they are most helpful. Alsoo, if any of your family members have any outgrown clothers, or your local Salvation Army, these are good sources for getting practice fabric. Ask any question to the board and you will be surprised how helpful we can be. Good Luck!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:38 PM

I started quilting about 6 months ago. After several frustrating experiences, I purchased Harriet and Carrie Hargrave's books: Quilter's Academy, Volume 1, Freshman Year, and Volume 2, Sophomore Year. While I'd love to jump right into more complicated quilting, I am disciplining myself to read each class and do every project (in order, no less)!

Even though I'm only about 1/2 way thru Freshman Year, I have learned far more about fabric and basic technique than I'd ever imagined, AND I already successfully pieced the tops of two lap-size quilts!

I can't recommend these books more highly.

Suschi
Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM

Yes, I asked questions yesterday from these ladys. It did me a world of good. I went into my sewing room and did what they say to do. and it worked..lol.. thank you to all the ladies. I love you people.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:00 PM

Ask all your friends if they know someone in your area who quilts. I just heard today that there are 20 million quilters so you should be able to find one who is willing to help you. Ask at your senior center or library, check out the rest homes. There are usually people there who may not be able to quilt any more but would be so glad for the company and to be able to help you.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM

One thing that helped me was watching quilting programs on TV. At that time Simply Quilts was on HGTV but I don't think it is any longer. Fons and Porter "Love of Quilting" will be on your PBS station and I also get Eleanor Burns program on Dish network. Ask questions in your LQS; they are always glad to help and to talk about quilts.