Has this ever happened to you? >

Has this ever happened to you?

Has this ever happened to you?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by janethagy
Wow you do have quite a stash there :)
Im in Edmond Ok wouldnt take me long to get to Enid...LOL
I have a friend in Edmond that has 2 bedrooms for her sewing rooms...and 4 closets with fabric and a bathroom where the shower/tub is also used for storage of fabric!
she is much closer to you and could use MORE help than I
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM

how do you getto the sewing machine ?!!!!!
lol,dar
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Valentine
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
This is my sewing room pix...
In 2005 when I first moved in and had the table and shelves made...and then NOW in Jan. 2011 when I can't even walk into the room!
You've heard the old saying, "The girl with the most fabric wins..", well YOU WIN!!!
nope...actually this is not much..you can't see that there are large items under that fabric, like a sewing machine cabinet, totes, a large basket of scrap book stuff....a box of clothing patterns, and a step stool!

I do know who has the most fabric and it is ubber scary...
Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by be a quilter
Well that explains it, you can't get in there to sew, all you can do is throw more in. lol
exactly...I just toss it in the door.....
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM

hahaha are we sisters? looks like we have the same DNA
Old 02-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pieces
So where do you quilt? It looks as though there is more coming in than going out. I think you are brave to show these pictures. Because I could never quilt in a cluttered room like this. Maybe I'm just a neat freak. I believe a place for everything and everything in its place. If I don't have a place for it, I don't buy it. My sewing room is a small bedroom and I don't buy fabric as long as my shelves are full. Making quilts uses up my stash, when my stash gets low I plan quilts to make, then I buy more fabric.
Personally I think you need to de-clutter, sell or give away a lot
of your clutter, aparantly you don't need it or you would have used it in a quilt by know. By the posts here at the QB it looks as though people let this hobby get out of control.
How can a quilter choose fabrics for a quilt in a cluttered room with fabric that is not organized. I want to see 'all' my fabric at a glance when I begin a quilt. I do not want to have to dig through piles of fabric, or go through containers looking for fabric. And I don't want to run to the quilt shop to buy fabric everytime I start a quilt. These are just my opinions and I am not pointing fingers at anyone. I do belive organization to any hobby is important.
if you only KNEW me you would know that everything DOES have its place...take a closer look at those shelves...one for Christmas/holiday, one for prints organized by kids, all overs, marbles, and smaller cuts of misc., one for batiks, etc, etc, all quilts/kits are kept together always! All my fat quarters are stored in open tubs on shelves and are sorted by type, Thimbleberries, batiks, holidays, tone on tone, prints, the only exceptions are my massive CW and 1930's collections! They have their own storage areas!

It looks like a mess, because I also teach girl scouts and kids at the YWCA to sew, so I am always pulling things out and then not getting them put back before I have to dig something else out!

I sew for a local hospice for children and people GIVE me stuff for those quilts! Which will no longer come into that room, but stay out in the garage until I cut it up into kits to hand out to others to sew!

I need to organize my TIME more than sewing room!

Judge not, for I don't look into your fridge or cupboards!

sewing area now has a 2nd cabinet for thread at the left side.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127744[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-127739.jpe  
Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie B
I started learning to quilt last winter and I use my son's old bedroom. The bed is stacked with fabric. I'm thinking that sooner than later I will have to get rid of the bed & get some bookcases/shelves to hold things. I've turned the dresser into my cutting table. I just bought a 6' folding table to set my sewing machine on...an upgrade from the old card table. And I have an old singer in a cabinet that I have a small tabletop ironing board on it when not using it. Did I say that this room is only 10' x 12'? It's small & getting smaller by the minute. Looking at your pictures I see my future...ha. Lucky you for being so rich in fabric!
This sounds familiar to me. My sewing room started out as my sons' old bedroom too. It still had the bottom half of a bunkbed in it at the beginning. That soon left in order for me to have more usable space. Now lining the edges of the room are : bins of fabric, a bookcase, a dresser (filled w/ fabric, patterns, sewing needs), a light stand (I do start some seeds in March/April- but is mostly used for WIP, yarn, thread storage), my computer desk and my sewing machine sits on an old dining room table. In between some fabric bins and my sewing machine is my ironing board/table. I have to move it if I need to get to those bins of yellow, orange, teal, purple, blue, red and pink, tho. We work with the space we have and hopefully we won't outgrow it! Or if we do, hopefully there's a larger space we can move to.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM

I have plastic tubs in a storage shed so I have more room in the sewing room.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned

one must also remember that every person who is on QB or who has a stash of fabric is not JUST a quilter! I do love to quilt, I love to design them, I love to learn the history of them, BUT I also teach others to sew, mainly clothing or home decor items! I also teach dying, painting, inking, etc on fabric and have TEST things going on all the time! I also sew Medieval garb and my own clothing and home decor...so what you see is what you would see in ANY seamstresses 10' sq room!

Buttons, trims, notions, art supplies,, all have their places and for the most part they are in them....it is the fabric that is like herding cats at the fish market...has a mind of its own I think!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
This is my sewing room pix...
In 2005 when I first moved in and had the table and shelves made...and then NOW in Jan. 2011 when I can't even walk into the room!
This has never happened to me, not this much, i don't very far from you , I could come and relieve you of some of it. I just need to travel up 412 about 50 mi.

Barbara, Pawnee