Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all! >

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

I consider myself a quilter not a sewing fix-it-all!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:23 PM

What a wonderful way to teach someone the art of sewing. Oh, also a very good way to get your point across :)
Old 08-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mariposa gal
Why is it so hard for some to say (and mean it), "I would like to help you but just do not have the time."? Nothing rude about that!
That is a very good question and I ask myself that all the time!
Old 08-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

BEEN THERE THE PERSON WOULD BRING ME HER BLOUSES TO SEW BUTTONS BACK ON SO I FINALLY SAID ILL SHOW YOU HOW IM NOT DOING IT FOR YOU ANYMORE STOPPED IT FOR SURE
Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by QUILTNMO
BEEN THERE THE PERSON WOULD BRING ME HER BLOUSES TO SEW BUTTONS BACK ON SO I FINALLY SAID ILL SHOW YOU HOW IM NOT DOING IT FOR YOU ANYMORE STOPPED IT FOR SURE
Um, dear, using all capitals online, is like shouting at us. We have made the same mistake. Someone told us, and now we tell you. No insult intended. We love hearing from you. :thumbup:
Old 08-15-2011, 03:46 AM

Wow! I find this subject very interesting! I agree, if people know you have a sewing machine, a sewing/quilting room and or skills they don't mind asking. I just tell them here is a few names of people who do this for a living. Call them. I don't have time to get my own repairs done!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 AM

When I was going to schools for computers I had a teacher who let us know up front that we'd run into lots of people like that. As soon as they know you can do something they come running. Thru out the whole class he kept going over this one phrase and told us not to forget it or we would be used and abused. The phrase is "for a small fee". I do some things for my family and friends but especially if you aren't close you should never assume others don't mind doing it just because they know how and never assume it's for free. Everyone I know knows one thing about me; I'll make quilts and outfits from scratch but I hate to mend. I make an exception to mending if it's important to a family member; then I'll help out.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by QUILTNMO
Um, dear, using all capitals online, is like shouting at us. We have made the same mistake. Someone told us, and now we tell you. No insult intended. We love hearing from you. :thumbup:
Using all CAPS was one of the first thing my boss taught me. I had never heard that it meant you were shouting at the person you send it too. I'm very careful now when I do the caps with anyone or even if it's one word
Old 08-15-2011, 04:07 AM

Great answer susieallaboutquilts! I often get requests for dresses to be shortened and while I don't 'mind', it does get tiring to have to put a project aside, especially if it's a gift and needs done by a certain time. I'll try and remember this the next time I should say no.
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I like the way you handled it. :thumbup:
Isn't it funny how non-sewers think that quilters like to do repairs??? Yuck, not me!! :D
You're a nice woman to get her that kit and you're doing yourself a big favor :)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:41 PM

I've found that today's 'favor' seems to morph into tomorrow's obligation.
Wish I could refuse without feeling embarassed...

You know that quote "Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Michaelangelo to paint the garage"? [or something like that] -- Maybe we should make a cute wallhanging with that on it so we could just point to it and suggest they look in the yellow pages for shops that do such work for a living -- we wouldn't wanna be guilty of depriving them of the business... ;-)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:21 PM

[quote=tabsmonsters]...... bought a cheap sewing kit to give to her the next time I see her and I plan on SHOWING her how to sew... [quote]

"Give a man a fish, you'll feed him for one day.
Teach a man how to fish, he can feed himself - every day."

Can't think just now where that quote came from, but it certainly applies here.

Let us know how this all played out; you've got lots of company. :?