Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you get the "itch" for quilting? >

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by sylvia77
Swimmom, what kind of machine do you have?
At that time I had just purchased a Scandanavia 200 I just recently purchased a Pfaff quilt expressions 2.0. Love both!
Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM

I can't cut. I'm 50+ and this second grade skill has always gotten the better of me. Now being a former marine I'm not fond of having something get the better of me. So when I retired I began picking up skills that had eluded me during my working years when I didn't have the time to devote to these things.

In November a Quilting Group started up in my area. Here was my chance and I'm taking it. The rotary cutter isn't my friend yet but we're getting there. I'm still doing my first sampler quilt. But I have hi hopes.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tkhooper
Now being a former marine I'm not fond of having something get the better of me.
I thought once a marine - always a marine (I watch NCIS lol)

Glad you are making friends with the rotary cutter. Have you tried templates and scissors? Maybe that works better for you.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:43 PM

It sounds crazy - but I'd LOVE to see that speech! (it's the speech teacher in me - sorry!

;-)

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
I tried to make a quilt for my upcoming wedding when I was 19. The pattern was flawed, and so was my sewing. It was a wedding ring pattern with curved seams (which was WAY to advanced for me.) I ended up not getting married and the quilt was stashed away. (I still have it in pieces.) Then, my senior year in college, I had to give an informative speech, so I talked about quilting traditions and where blocks got their origins. (I still have that speech on VHS.) Through the research, I really got bit by the quilting bug. My mom gave me an old Montgomery Wards machine - that I still use occasionally) - and away I went. I have been quilting ever since.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 PM

That's what you call a marine that is no longer on active duty. former marine.

I'm left handed and I hate sissors. They were the start of my problem. I do make and use templates. The rotary cutter is working pretty good with them except where there are a lot of small curves.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:38 PM

That's what you call a marine that is no longer on active duty. former marine.

I'm left handed and I hate sissors. They were the start of my problem. I do make and use templates. The rotary cutter is working pretty good with them except where there are a lot of small curves.
I am left handed, so maybe I can help you a bit ... my mother, who is right-handed, used scissors in her left hand, by turning them upside down ... I couldn't use left-handed scissors if my life depended on it ... but, you might get along with scissors better if you turn them upside down ...
As far as the rotary cutter, don't even bother buying a rotary cutter that you can't make into a lefty tool ... some will always be for right-handed only ... but, as a lefty do not settle. It isn't worth the effort.
The thing to realize (and, I am sure you have it figured out) the way you cut things will be opposite what a right-handed person does things. Take a measure of the technique and what they are attempting to do, then reverse the situation for your comfort ... Alex Anderson is a lefty and she has done a lot of shows on how to handle things when you are left-handed ... but, I am almost certain your "problem" will go away when you get a rotary cutter that allows you to put the blade in on either side for those of us who are in our right minds. <wave>
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

I am left handed but I only write with my left hand. I do everything else right handed.

I guess thats why I am able to do all of the things that I can do is because I use both sides of my brain equally.

Billy
Old 02-15-2010, 09:00 AM

Well, I'm just starting. My mom taught me how to sew, crochet, and cross-stitch (among many other things) but doesn't quilt. Then I started reading the 'Elm Creek Quilts' book series and it was decided. I wanted to learn how to quilt! Now here I am... in the process of making my first quilt top :)
Old 02-20-2010, 03:06 AM

I definitely use a left handed rotary cutter. I learned my lesson while still in home economics. I picked up pinking shears to "finish" my project. I had worked so hard on it and it was ruined with the first cut. Never again right handed tools for this left hander. Which is probably why I don't get along with my sewing machine.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 AM

I definitely use a left handed rotary cutter. I learned my lesson while still in home economics. I picked up pinking shears to "finish" my project. I had worked so hard on it and it was ruined with the first cut. Never again right handed tools for this left hander. Which is probably why I don't get along with my sewing machine.
If you look at a sewing machine, though .. it is more friendly to a lefty than a right handed person. The only thing on the right is the turn handle and the bobbin winder. The most free area is to the left of the machine. If the needle isn't threaded from front to back, it will be threaded from left to right. When it is time to remove a bobbin, almost every move is easiest done by a lefty ... the light is on the left, the thread cutter is on the left .... I think a left-handed person designed the sewing machine <wave>