Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:06 PM

Oh my goodness!! That Blacksmith shop sewing room is s o beautiful...

It holds a special thrill for me as my late father was a Blacksmith!!! I think that sewing room is supposed to be mine!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 PM

Sanctuary!!! :-)

(I'd throw a sleeping bag in there and the family wouldn't have to see me again.) 8-)
Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 AM

Cathleen -- I wanna come play at your house!! :lol:
Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 AM

First off I love the Blacksmith's Quilting Studio. Shortly after my son graduated from college and moved to NYC, I took over his room as my studio (bed still up). The first time he came home he said "Where am I going to sleep?" I told him he wouldn't want to sleep in there because there isn't a TV. I told him he could sleep in the small den, on the futon, which does have a TV. I have since taken down the bed and what a difference for space. Last Sept. my daughter moved out and I've slowly been moving some things into that room. We got a new mattress and the old one went into her room. I wanted to trade because that room is bigger, but my husband wanted a spare bed for visitors. I measured, and that bed will fit in the smaller room. I haven't told him that yet. I'm waiting until I can get a long/mid arm setup and will definitely need the bigger room.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:39 AM

The best place I have to work is the master bedroom, as it's the only room without carpeting, and it's the largest. With 2 other bedrooms, it's not a problem, and beats having to use the kitchen counters and dining room table!
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 AM

I am so envious! Great studio!

Originally Posted by Cathleen Colson
My sewing rooms are in a converted blacksmith shop! During the 1989 earthquake the original house on the property fell down, so the family poured a concrete floor in the 100+ year old blacksmith shop, added some plumbing, turned it into a small bathroom (now storage), the lean-to bedroom (now houses my Tin Lizzie and quilting frame), and the main room was living, dining, kitchen (now my sewing room), and lived there while they built a new home. When we bought it, my husband put in a brick hearth and fixed up the old pot belly stove, installed wood flooring, fixed the leaky roof. I painted and sprayed all the termites, caulked the windows. I have plenty of space, can hide out anytime I want. I have a big jug of water and an old microwave so I can have tea and watch quilting shows on TV! I am definitely spoiled, but so happy about it!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Out of all the very GREAT sewing rooms/studios we've seen, I think the Blacksmith shop rocks the most.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
when i got my longarm, i made my dining room my living room and turned the living room into my longarm room, the upside is now i have no space for big family dinners and someone else has to have them :) and i get to go and just bring a dish to pass.
I like the way you think!!!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:31 AM

Ok - so the sitting room is NEARLY a sewing room!!! Its a good job its a bank holiday weekend, we don't seem to have sat down for the past three days !!!

I am amazed how well my stuff has all fitted in (almost!!) and I still need to go an buy a few more storage boxes. BUT the good news is - I have only really taken up HALF the room (so far.... wait till that quilting machine gets here! lol!)

Sooooo the family can still sit in there too and better yet - if I am quiet they might let me sew while they watch TV!!! I used to have to stop sewing before!!!!!

ANYWAY

Just off to do some more sorting then I will psot a few pics!
Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 AM

Can't wait to see pictures of your room!!! And if your sewing machine noise is too much for TV watching, tell them that's what the volume control is for -- crank that baby up -- that way you can hear too!! :lol: :lol: