Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE! >

Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE!

Do NOT iron until the quilt top is DONE!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM

I went to a Kay England class, and I had the most fun ever. I would love to go again. But I do use an iron after each seam.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:04 PM

Took a workshop with Kaye about 3 yrs ago and haven't ironed until the block is done since then. I find I have less distortion when I don't iron - esp with bias seams. Plus, I HATE to iron, so I loved Kaye's method. If I have a lot of intersecting seams in a block, I will sometimes use The Fabric Folding Pen. You run it along a seam and it wets (water and some light starchy stuff (or Best Press when starchy stuff gone)) the seam - then fold the seam - lays almost as flat as if ironed but easier to reverse the fold if needed.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 PM

you folks are talking about ironing, not pressing. pressing is important. how ever you achieve it is okay. It is important if you are looking for a nice finish. I hear so many people complain. Do what works for you!
Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Banned

Sally Collins says press after each seam is sewed. You really need it for the tiny blocks she does and we did in class.

However, guess the bottom line is do what is best for you to achieve the finished work.

You notice the Kaye said - accurate measuring, cutting and seaming.......she didn't give any leeway here.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 AM

Although I don't press with an iron until I finish the square, I do finger press the seams in the directon I need them to go as I piece. I was interested to see that some of you press the seams to set them, guess I will have to try that and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Did I get your attention?

I recently took a class with Kaye England and it was kind of a real eye opener. She made us all try creating a block her way just to see how it turned out. Here were her rules:

Iron your fabric first
Then you don't touch the iron again until the block is done. In the real world application it was until the quilt top was done.

While piecing it together you would sew the dark toward the dar without pressing. Her philosophy was, if you measure it right, cut it right, and sew an exact 1/4 right. Then the block will turn out right.

Well I will say this...I'm an ironer....I like to press it all so it like cardboard going through the machine. But when I did it her way I was astonished at how well the blocked turned out. Points were lined up GREAT and another thing....NO PINS!

I wondered if anyone else quilts like this all the time? After such a successful first try, I think I will continue this way, it actually saves a lot of time running back and forth to the iron.

So I would say if you think you might like to do it, TRY a block. I was kinda amazed, did I mention that I'm kinda in love with Kaye England now? :-D
I do have to admit that I don't iron every seam. I starch and press before cutting though. Just don't take the time when sewing a block, and my grandma didn't either...so if it worked for her, I figured it would work OK for me...unless I'm having a problem, then I'll iron.

But I do iron a completed block so that the tops go together better...and that keeps me only having to press a few seams once the top is complete. Otherwise, I hate having to press the entire King size top...it's just too much at once.

So far, so good :)
Debbie in Austin
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 AM

Michael,

Your post is simply antithetical to my process. I'm like you: Pin the seam, sew the seam, "set the seam" by pressing (not ironing!), and, finally, press the seam towards the dark. Repeat this a million times until your quilt top is done. And, oh, by the way, I don't use steam, but I will use Best Press, which is absolutely remarkable.

If I am following the logic, Kaye is saying if you cut correctly, and sew a 1/4" seam, everything will turn out correctly. Perhaps hew logic is all that "handling" of the fabric contributes to distortion. Am I correct? Actually, it makes sense.

I am about to embark on another project. I will try not pressing. This will be OH, SO DIFFICULT not to press, but I will try it. Film at 11!

Janet :)
Old 11-01-2010, 05:07 AM

I press as I go but I may try this method.....at least once.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:18 AM

Michael,

Typo . . . it should say Perhaps HER logic . . .
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 AM

I tried it on one of my blocks. It was hard not topress each seam as I did before, but IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!