Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
An act of kindness that touches my heart >

An act of kindness that touches my heart

An act of kindness that touches my heart

Old 09-11-2011, 08:22 PM

Hang in there both of you. I went through chemo 3 years ago. At the time, it seemed like the treatment and the baldness were forever, but my hair started growing as soon as the chemo stopped - 1/2 an inch a month just like all the stuff I read said - and curly! The curls lasted about 9 months, and then I had to have a haircut, and my hair sort of went back to 'normal.' May you both be blessed with both hair and curls!!!

Meanwhile, PM me with your addresses, and I'll send you a charming knit hat that I made for myself from eyelash yarn. Let me know if you have a favorite color, because I may have one that color! I cleaned them after I no longer needed them, and I give them to chemo-sisters. I finished chemo in Dec '08, and I needed the hats to keep warm - all the heat in your body goes out through your head, and it goes out faster when there's no hair to insulate you! I even wore a hat in bed.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

You are very beautiful in your pretty pink hat, my prayers and thoughts are with you.
May God keep you safe in your difficult time, and always remember he is just a prayer away.
GOD bless.
Penny
Old 09-11-2011, 11:13 PM

Robin you will be in my prayers,God Bless.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by sjwnana
This hat is wonderful... i too am going thu.. round 3(in 3 more weeks.) of chemo this year... and i want this pattern,,, i have looked and looked and it seems to be sold out.. please help if you can..or send me where i can get it..
thanks so much all of you are just great..
i learn so much just reading your comments..
blessing to all
sheila i Ga
Here is the web site for the hat pattern, it is a Izzy & Ivy designs pattern, It shows a little girl in the hat but sizes are from baby to xxlarge the xx large is for a 23-24 inch head. It is confushing if your looking for a pattern and you are thinking adult hat. LOL If this doesn't work let me know. Also on the hat the is a large flower with a large button in the center. I have an embroidery machine and got a pattern for a layered flower made in the hoop and there are button holes in each layer. I like it because if you don't want the flower on all the time you just unbotton it. The button hole is for a smaller button 7/8 but I think they look OK check out my pictures of the hats.
Remember have fun with the pattern and don't be afraid to mix up fabric and some hats I left the band and ruffle off.
http://thedizzydaizy.com/category_52/Izzy-and-Ivy.htm
Maggie
Old 09-12-2011, 02:40 AM

This hat is wonderful... i too am going thu.. round 3(in 3 more weeks.) of chemo this year... and i want this pattern,,, i have looked and looked and it seems to be sold out.. please help if you can..or send me where i can get it..
blessing to all
sheila i Ga
Here is something I made to go with the hats, I didn't show them in the pictures. You do get cold when you lose your hair and cooler weather is coming. I made head bands to wear under your hat or scarf, they not only hide your hair line they help keep a scarf from slipping and also cover your hair line that shows from under a hat.
Get the ribbing that we used to use for ribbing on knit shirts, it comes in a tube form and has a lot of strech.
I cut it layer 8 1/2 inches wide and then 17 inches long. remember it streches so it will fit around the head and you won't have to change the lenght of cut think it should work for all sizes of heads. Now I will try and not make this not to confushing, pin the long edges together, mark each end so that you will start to sew and end the seam about 1 1/2 inchs on each end. This is so you can turn it wrong side out later. As you start sewing gently strech the fabric as you sew. This is so the sewing will strech with the fabric and go over your head and not break the stitching. After sewing the long seam open out the ends with the part of the seam you left open and put right sides together and sew the ends. Now turn it right side out. You will have a round band, turn in the edges of the seam opening and hand stitch it close. Oh I used a quarter inch seam. All done. If you want the finished band wider or narrower just change the width of the cut. Any questions let me know.
Good luck everybody and we remember all of us here and those of us that have been down this road are here for you and don't be afraid to ask if you have a question, either to the group or private.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

That is so sweet - best of luck to you - sending prayers and well wishes!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 PM

blessing to all
sheila i Ga
OHHH sjwnana - I am thinking and praying for you:: Praying with everything that I have - that this cancer is healed from your body and all those who have this dreadful disease. May God Bless You each and every day:::
Old 09-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

Maggie is your angel! Your hat looks beautiful!
I hope and pray your treatments go well.
Remember....we are here for you!
{{{Hugs}}}
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 PM

The hat is so pretty & so are you!
Prayers & good thoughts sent for & to you.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:46 AM

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART..
as it takes the prayers and the good Dr's both working together
to get there..
sending you a huge hug..
sheila