Still rather shocked

Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM

If you've ever heard of Suzy Orman. She's been on Oprah, and has her own money related show. She says that someone that just went through a major life event should not move or make major decisions for 1 year. Then you have a much clearer mind. So don't do anything major for at least a year. Your kids just lost their Dad they don't need to lose their friends too.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
Good for you, not biting on this scam. Not saying that she may be desperate, but its not YOUR place to rescue her, Your responsibility is to yourself and your kids first.
So sorry for your loss, he must have loved you all very much to provide for you and the family in case something happened to him.
and I'm thinking she wasn't even in his will!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 PM

must say,, if quilter's are all kind- hearted, loving souls...you could not prove it by reading the replies to this thread![/quote]

We are all kind -hearted, loving souls, who are outraged that one of our own was treated so shabbily. I give to others all the time, but there is a story about giving a fish, and eating for a day, or teaching to fish, and eating for a lifetime. She wanted a fish. You said no. Great decision!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:30 PM

Always be aware of those who will scam. Be careful and never give or loan anyone money even if the story they give seem to be plausible.

Give them locations, like a bank or other lending institutions so that you can offer then assistance without giving them cash.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Dee

Sorry for your loss. Believe me, after you get a little sum, you hear from everyone, who never passed the time of day with you. People are so feelingless. Ignore that one.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:53 PM

My husband has 6 brothers and a sister. The sister and 2 brothers went to the bank of mom and dad and emptied their account, then went to remaining brothers including my husband - who did not have it and asked if I could borrow for them. That was a no. So after $10,000 from one and the same from another and the same from in-laws, all 3 filed bankruptcy. One even had the nerve to include the debt to the brother. I saw this coming and told my husband we can't afford to give money away. He was disabled and waiting for approval from SS, and I was working 10+hours a day to cover both incomes. All 3 eventually lost their homes after 'taking' appx $70,000+ from family and in-laws. And that is what I know of. One brother was after $3000 every 3 months for health ins. He did this for a year until no one else would give. Lost the ins. My husband kicked in $500 when he got his dads last 2500. My husband reminded him of the 500, and the brother suggested it was a gift. Denied he owed anything. He is not talking to his brother now. -- Your 'aquaintence' must have run out of family, because those who take and keep taking look at people and start to figure what approach they will use to continue taking without any intention of repaying.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:59 PM

wow that was gutsy
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM

What concerns me the most about this woman is she has had access to all of your personal information at one time. I do hope you will consider calling her former employer to ask about their privacy policy and the security of customer information if an employee is dismissed. They will probably ask you some questions. At that point you could explain why you are concerned. You have a valid reason.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 PM

Sad to be in your situation and can't give you directions what is best for you. However, I can tell you my husband signed a car loan as simply stating the person was employed under his management and was good for the loan. Well, several years later while living overseas with the army we recieved a notice my husband was deliquint on this loan to the tune of about 15,000.00. Took a lawyer and some army letters to clear up the issue.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:50 PM

Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!