Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? >
  • What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

• What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

Old 02-05-2012, 09:32 AM

After reading all of these bad habits, I realize that most of my sewing is a bad habit. LOL Sew too fast, not changing rotary blade, starting new projects before finishing old ones, (I tell myself its to learn the new technique I just saw) tossing threads and bits of fabric, if they land in the trash alls good, if not I clean it later, (if its good enough for Eleanor, its ok with me)let my fur-babies in my sewing room (so they remember what I look like) and have waaaay too much stuff in the sewing room that hasn't found a home yet.
    Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Changing my rotary blade every 3 years whether it needs it or not....*rolling my eyes*

NEVER changing my needle...

Starting a quilt IN the sewing room, but eventually it's crept out and taken over the dining room AND living room. My quilting room is small... but.. boy... I have to use some discipline to keep things contained. We have eaten many meals in the living room in TV trays because I have taken over the kitchen table.

I'm most lucky my hubby likes what I do...he never complains.
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:18 PM

Sometimes I attempt to match points without pinning them. Oh YES, I know that does not work, lol!
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM

I sew over pins, start a new project when I still have several UFO's, don't iron like I should and don't always prewash fabric. Thankfully the last bad habit hasn't come back to haunt to me but I'm certain with Murphy's Law it will now.
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:20 PM

The new computerized sewing machines do NOT like hitting a pin.
    When I started sewing, about 1.5 yr. ago my instructor said it was ok to sew over the pins if I went slow, the needle would just slip past the pin. I don't agree.

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    About sewing over pins-I remember in high school during home ec, I was told it was ok to sew over pins if they were placed correctly. Was my home ec teacher telling fibs or was it the thing to do a <COUGH>couple years ago---ok 30 ish years ago?
    I rarely sew over pins now.

I cut under my arm with the rotary cutter, I hold the fabric and ruler with my left hand and cut under the arm with the rotary cutter. I always check to make sure no new people are around when I cut because I don't want them to pick up that bad habit.
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:28 PM

My friend licks everything to "make it work" and I really do not like her helping me with anything of mine. I use a sharp scissor and cut at an angle to get my thread sharp enough to go through the eye. (btw all needles have a groove above the eye, so if you push the thread above the eye it will go through) I have caught myself licking my fingers to attempt to separate a stack of fabric. It really doesn't help, just a habit from sorting papers.

Originally Posted by linda8450
    I hold pins in my mouth! My mom did, and I just learned that way! I had a little boy that was visiting while I did fittings on his sister tell his mom that that was not good. I can hold quite a few, and still talk. It is just something I have always done and have heard horror stories about swallowed pins, etc. just can't stop. I also spit on my thread to thread needles, lick my fingers to seperate fabric, etc. My DNA is on everything I make. Linda
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Don't feel guilty about sewing fast. I'm guessing the engineers designed a machine to do what it is capable of.

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts
    If you ask my DH, I sew too slowly. I won't let it sew over the mid-speed to preserve my machine normally. Going too fast is hard on the machine parts & I don't want to wear it out prematurely. Sometimes though, even I get a little anxious. Just once with my present machine I was exhausted & ready for bed, so I jacked it up & stomped on it. Finished that long seam quickly, but DH couldn't stop talking about it for a month!! LOl!
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 PM

Amen to that! I did it with the quilt I'm working on now. Figured I had the pattern down, and if I mixed light/dark as suggested it would turn out ok. Wrong! Sewing the triangles -- they had to be on the right or wrong side to match the others! I thought chain stitching was going so well. Let's just say I got Mr. Clover "hot and bothered" again. My seam ripper is named Mr. Clover because it is Clover brand.

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    I think my worst one is putting pins in my lips to hold them a minute. I have always done this and do it unknowingly.

Oh and also engaging my brain into what I am doing after taking a break. Boy, you can piece a ton of blocks wrong in a short amount of time chain piecing.
    Old 02-05-2012, 01:53 PM

I was taught you can sew over pins also. I try not too just because you hear so much about it. Most machines now days are made to do that. You have to make sure your pins are put in straight so it goes over and the feed dogs can push it through.

I am too picky and makes my sewing last so much longer, I am trying to mellow a little on that.

An iron is your friend, get friendly with it.lol

I suppose I do all kinds of bad things but can't think of any right now, that is one thing getting old does for you, you can't remember!
    Old 02-05-2012, 02:35 PM

Ok it's time for me to fess up... I also put pins in my mouth and chat away.... very bad cuz I have TMJ and it only ends up hurting me in the end! I use a chop stick to help guide my fabric when sewing, and sometimes it too ends up between my teeth... bad bad bad
    I purchase waaaay tooooo many patterns, cuz I just can't resist, my philosophy is, if I don't purchase it now, it will be out of print when I want to make it! Great logic, right?? Sooo in my case I have waaaay more patterns than fabric.... shame on me... Now I'm concentrating on fabric buys.... that's good right, gotta have fabric if I'm going to make all those patterns,correct??
    I am my OWN WORST CRITIC!! I am a perfectionist and I will go to the ends of the earth to make something as flawless as possible. I drive my hubby and myself crazy sometimes... so I am working on being satisified with the best I can possible do without tearing it out repeatedly. I find I enjoy my sewing much more when I can just let go and relax a bit....
    And... I spend way too much time on this wonderful message board, reading tips and hints and finding yet more patterns to purchase!! LOL But, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't get my daily, ummmm... OK....(supposed to be fessing up here....) hourly dose of the quilters message board and all you great quilters on here. ;-)

Last edited by Divokittysmom; 02-05-2012 at 02:45 PM.