work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dljennings
isn't being salaried wonderful (??)
Lord I can tell you stories about that!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Before I quit my job and retired, I was working out of our home office in Atlanta, lived in west TN. My territory was from the east coast to Texas and the Mason-Dixon line to the gulf coast. I would work for 2 and 3 weeks at a time before seeing my family for a day and having to go back out and do it all over again.

Quitting was the best thing I ever did, instead of living to work I am now working to live and at my own leisure!

Billy
Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM

Even though I like my job I'd retire today if I could! My husband worked for over 30 years, retired for 3 years and now back to work- college tuition is a killer!Oh well nothing lasts forever!
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM

It's funny, but I had more time to sew when I worked than now that I am retired. I used to work 8hrs at a call center. Did my housework and spent time with my hubbny and the one grown son. Right now I handquilting a wallhanging, at least when my 18 mo old grandson is not sitting on my lap and we are watching game shows together. Can't complain, he is a love and these are precious moments for me. But I miss my sewing machine.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:08 AM

I work 40 hours/wk, and commute 1 hour, round trip, so I have zero time in the evenings anymore. I hardly have time to check out this board! I haven't touched my machine in weeks, if not months....but I'm slowly putting together a plan for my next project. Unfortunately, with warm weather comes more work to do around the house and yard, too!
all I need is to win the lottery!
Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Well, I am retired now and just getting back to crafting. I had always wanted to quilt some and crochet! so started with the crocheting and then found this site after surfing around from craft sites to craft sites! The more I came back to this site, the more I wanted to get started. I do have the time to work as I please, but I still find I have other things that need attention too, like the house, dinners, yard work now that the weather is nice, laundry etc. So whenever I can I sew or look at what to do next! So far it has been a joy!
When I was younger I watched children as well as my own, that never really gave me time to craft and then I went out to work after 16 yrs of watching kids! Wow it was like being an adult again! lol But cashiering for a grocery store is quite wearing on the body and I ended up with some back issues and after PT for three months and out of leave, I made the decision to "retire". So once you get to that age of "retirement" be it young or older, you will find the time to do the things you never had the time for.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:35 AM

I'm right there w/you....I hardly have time to even look at the forum. I'm sometimes months behind on reading. I have 1/2 a garage full of fabric and hope to someday get back to it to create like you ladies. You all do such beautiful work.
Originally Posted by Teacup
I work fulltime and commute 50 minutes each way. My job is salaried rather than hourly so a lot of days I put in well over 8 hours. I'm brain-dead when I get home and have found that's not a good combination with the precision of quilting, especially accurate cutting! So I get online and spend time here looking at what everyone else is doing, and think, "some day, I'll be able to do things like that!" My sewing is limited to some weekend time when I can work it in. So I don't produce much, but I love all things quilted.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:32 AM

Billy, I want to say how refreshing it is to hear you say you wanted to be there for your kids as so many fathers don't!
Old 04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I work part-time, 3 days a week. I do voluntary work also. I get up early or stay up late to make time to quilt. You guys are amazing. Many work long hours and still have beautiful quilting to show. This is a great thread.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM

I work full time and have not been able to work on a quilt top that my husband has asked me to make since before Thanksgiving.