Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Tutorials
  • Turning 2.5” Scraps into a Log Cabin Block >
  • Turning 2.5” Scraps into a Log Cabin Block

• Turning 2.5” Scraps into a Log Cabin Block

Old 11-01-2016, 07:46 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by happylab
    I'm back in the land of being able to use wifi internet again. 2 weeks with spartic usage is boring. I missed chatting. I'm glad both bd ladies received their candy.
    I'm also like the 2 1/2' log cabin quilt. I'm currently working on that one. I making it king size, total of 72 blocks, if I calculated it right.
    I'm practicing with sending a pic on this site, so I'm just sending a practice pic. [ATTACH=CONFIG]559891[/ATTACH]
    This will be lovely...
    Old 11-23-2016, 12:21 PM

This is a beautiful quilt, and a great tutorial, thank-you so much for sharing your tutorial, I have so many 2" squares so I'm going to try making it with them, I was needing a new idea since I have made 4 or 5 quilts using 2" squares and I still have so many of them, I think those little squares are multiplying when I'm asleep.
    Old 11-24-2016, 05:14 PM

This is a great tutorial. I can see a complete novice using this to make a beautiful quilt. Pictures are worth a 1000 words.
    Old 11-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Correct my thinking if I'm wrong, but I can picture this block being made by first making a 9 patch, then adding the other pieces?

If there's no reason why it wouldn't work, I may just go ahead and start making 9 patches when I'm in the mood or as "leaders and enders" until I'm ready to add the whites with the remaining colored squares , closer to finishing time?
    Old 11-27-2016, 04:37 PM

That would work just fine. You can put it together any way that makes sense to you.

Actually, I make mine by arranging my pieces on top of the graph-paper pattern. I sew them together as a leaders and enders project. When that block is all sewed together, I arrange more scraps on the graph-paper pattern. When I have enough blocks, I make it into a quilt.

The only reason I did the tutorial this way is because people had a hard time picturing the scrappy logs.
    Old 11-27-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    That would work just fine. You can put it together any way that makes sense to you.

Actually, I make mine by arranging my pieces on top of the graph-paper pattern. I sew them together as a leaders and enders project. When that block is all sewed together, I arrange more scraps on the graph-paper pattern. When I have enough blocks, I make it into a quilt.

The only reason I did the tutorial this way is because people had a hard time picturing the scrappy logs.
    I'm so glad you wrote the tutorial in the "traditional way" of making logs . It totally helped me picture doing it that way. Once I "got it" I saw it that way, I could see it built other ways. I'm eager to start it!
    Old 12-28-2016, 10:42 AM

your quilt and your directions have inspired me to start quilting again and use up my scraps,
    thank you for sharing
    Old 12-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this tutorial. I have always loved the log cabin pattern and I have loads of scrap fabric. I love your quilt. What is the finished size of your quilt? I tried to count the blocks but I had trouble because they blend so nicely.
    Old 12-29-2016, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post this tutorial. I have always loved the log cabin pattern and I have loads of scrap fabric. I love your quilt. What is the finished size of your quilt? I tried to count the blocks but I had trouble because they blend so nicely.
    You're welcome!

Each of my blocks is 10" finished. There are six blocks across and nine blocks down. With the added binding the quilt is approximately 61" x 91." You could change the number of blocks to get different dimensions. I wanted mine extra long because I like to wrap the bottom of the quilt under the mattress.
    Old 12-31-2016, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    Since this quilt has gotten such positive comments, I decided to enter it into the State Fair of Virginia... and I placed third! Woo Hoo!

One young woman said as she looked at it that it reminded her of her grandmother. How sweet!
    What an honor to win a ribbon at a state fair. Congratulations not only on your beautiful blocks but on the overall workmanship.