Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011 >

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 AM

OK OK...You have twisted my arms! I'll do it.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:58 AM

Love the Pineapple block! Very pretty!!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:40 AM

Pineapple block is very pretty. Can't wait to start the blocks.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by mim
here is a house block I made as part of a wall hanging -- each house had a different quilt block on the wall

Originally Posted by k9dancer
Originally Posted by Jenniky
You ladies that are talking about having fabrics for roof tops and skys and such can you peas and carrots post some pics of the material.. I have no clue what fabric to buy for the house bom's. would love some visual examples of what others are doing :)
Do not feel that your house fabric has to look like wood or bricks or aluminum siding. I saw an artist once who literally pulled fabric at random from her stash to make houses. The wall may have had fish, the roof might have been polka dots, and the sky might have had monkeys. Sounds crazy, but it worked.
What a Gorgeous House block!! :thumbup: Thank you so much for posting your picture for everyone to see. I am just drooling over your picture!!
:D :D :D :D
Old 12-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

Count me in. It will be a challenge.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM
mim

I think I made 8 blocks in all -- I hope I have the completed pix on my PC back in Maine. I know I did friendship star and Ohio star. I donated the piece to the Portland Harbour Museum (Maine) as a fund raiser. I was a docent for it and for the lighthouse. It was great fun.

I have located the quilt that our guild made for the ME State raffle -- it was called 99 houses --

What is a house?? there were barns, bird houses, dog houses, lighthouses, a house on stilts from a member who had livid in the Phillipines.]
A house is where something/somebody lives.

Mim

Originally Posted by SulaBug
Originally Posted by mim
here is a house block I made as part of a wall hanging -- each house had a different quilt block on the wall

You ladies that are talking about having fabrics for roof tops and skys and such can you peas and carrots post some pics of the material.. I have no clue what fabric to buy for the house bom's. would love some visual examples of what others are doing :)
Do not feel that your house fabric has to look like wood or bricks or aluminum siding. I saw an artist once who literally pulled fabric at random from her stash to make houses. The wall may have had fish, the roof might have been polka dots, and the sky might have had monkeys. Sounds crazy, but it worked.
What a Gorgeous House block!! :thumbup: Thank you so much for posting your picture for everyone to see. I am just drooling over your picture!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150763.jpe  
Old 12-31-2010, 03:53 PM

Oh cute!! Look at the little tree house and dog house and bird house!! My brain is getting full! :D :D :D :D
I wonder if we could find a doll house? How cute would that be?!

Originally Posted by mim
I think I made 8 blocks in all -- I hope I have the completed pix on my PC back in Maine. I know I did friendship star and Ohio star. I donated the piece to the Portland Harbour Museum (Maine) as a fund raiser. I was a docent for it and for the lighthouse. It was great fun.

I have located the quilt that our guild made for the ME State raffle -- it was called 99 houses --

What is a house?? there were barns, bird houses, dog houses, lighthouses, a house on stilts from a member who had livid in the Phillipines.]

Mim

Originally Posted by mim

Old 12-31-2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mim

Mim

Originally Posted by mim

Is it possible for me to get even more excited about this bom than I already was? Yes! (swoon) Thanks for the pic of the beautiful, homey quilt!
Old 12-31-2010, 03:58 PM
mim

what made the quilt so interesting was not only the houses but the sashing -- done with diagonal triangles.

We all made small wall hangings for ourselves afterwards -- and it was really tough. I think I gave mine to a 2nd or 3rd cousin several times removed in Seattle. She loved it.

BTW -- there is also an igloo somewhere

Mim

Mim
Old 12-31-2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Ok, I have been reading of the BOM here and am I right to say we make one block a month ? and end up with a quilt of 12 blocks? I would like to follow along and possibly do each as I can. Thanks ..

Sharon
Sharon,
Yes, we will be making one block a month, ending up with 12 blocks by the end of the year. Of course anyone is free to make more if they want a bigger quilt. It's all up to the individual. I am glad to know that you want to join us this year. We are going to have a lot of fun!!
Thanks SulaBug!
I hope to be able to keep up with everyone.